Honored Contributor

Re: Ethel Kennedy's granddaugher

@sashamatthews wrote:

It wasn't Courtney's wedding.  It was Rory's IIRC. Her sister.

@sashamatthews   Right. I got it  wrong, obviously confused the name.

Honored Contributor

How sad.  

I see Ethel in her eyes and in her smile.

I wonder if it was prescribed drugs she overdosed on.

Also wonder if she shared with anyone the name of the person(s) who violated her. 

That is a tragedy in itself.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  Who doesn't know that taking drugs can kill you?  I see every drug overdose as a suicide.

Maybe they don't want to die, but they take too much of something that they KNOW CAN KILL them.  They "die by their own hand."  Suicide.

@esmerelda 

Is this the way you feel about those that eat too much food or drink alcohol to excess? If they die from their addiction is it dying by their own hand? Is that suicide? How about jaywalking - by your definition any decision made that results in death is suicide.

Is not conscious intent a necessary factor in suicide?

What about the countless numbers of patients that were prescribed opioids by medical doctors and now find themselves living in a hell they never bargained for.

Some people are already emotionally unbalanced and do not fully comprehend the possibility of overdosing.

Some people are in so much emotional pain that they have to block out the feelings and memories to get through their day. 

Regarding this very sad story of a young girl who appeared to have all that she could ask for, no matter what the family chooses to reveal, we may never know the reality of how the overdose came about, what emotional pain she was in, the nature of her sexual abuse by "someone she knew and loved", and barring a suicide note, we'll never know her conscious intent.

Honored Contributor

Tim Shriver spoke at her funeral yesterday and told a story about her last birthday this past May. Everyone around the firepit talked about what they wanted to accomplish this year.

Saiorse said she wanted to learn to love herself. Tim said the family didn't know what to say. That's the problem, people don't know what to say to something like that so they don't say anything.

Some people can't relate, and some love themselves way too much. But it is the eternal life long struggle for some of us to love ourselves. For many deep seated reasons that are very painful to unpack. Compassion, support, and encouragement is helpful. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's been hard for me to enter this thread without weeping.    I've written in a few other Community discussions about my depression, experience with suicide, so far managing to be a survivor.   Those of us who live with the nightmare of depression taunting us, beckoning us, muddling our thinking, fogging our senses, and altering our reality know from the inside looking out how confusing, relentless, suffocating and distancing it can be.   
            When we're on the outside looking in, it's also a puzzle of nightmares...  wanting to help, wanting to rescue our loved ones.    I've been there, too.
            We don't know what happened in those final moments of this dear, beautiful young soul's life...  but we do know there was depression and deep, searing pain.   Pain that can be ceaseless, grueling, torturous, impossibly impossible to describe from the perspective of a brain that's hijacked by a storm.   
            We on the inside of the grip of this monster called depression feel tired and helpless, exhausted and hopeless -- after the hard work using every tool we can find to get better...  yearning for that sensation of wellness, wholeness, even just a moment of peace, that always seems to be just beyond our reach, sometimes just the tiniest bit away from our fingertips, always elusive.    
            And when we're on the outside, looking in, it's also painful anguish, also that yearning to help, to heal, to rescue...  a yearning that can't be assuaged.   We try to communicate, but it seems we're speaking different languages totally unrecognizable, completely undecipherable.   
            I pray that we all may find grace and tender mercies.    A lovely soul has passed away, and I mourn her as much as if she were my sister, my mother, my daughter, my aunt, my friend.   We all are connected.    We must remember that.   
            Her family said that Saoirse Roisin Kennedy Hill stayed up to see the dawn, the golden sunrise kissing the ocean, on the last morning of her life.   Rest in gentle peace... may her soul and spirit soar into that magical golden light. 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor

@dooBdoo 

A heart below your post can't begin to convey how much I can feel what you wrote. The love of humanity and depth in your words is so beautifully expressed. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jazzed wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  Who doesn't know that taking drugs can kill you?  I see every drug overdose as a suicide.

Maybe they don't want to die, but they take too much of something that they KNOW CAN KILL them.  They "die by their own hand."  Suicide.

@esmerelda 

Is this the way you feel about those that eat too much food or drink alcohol to excess? If they die from their addiction is it dying by their own hand? Is that suicide? How about jaywalking - by your definition any decision made that results in death is suicide.

Is not conscious intent a necessary factor in suicide?

What about the countless numbers of patients that were prescribed opioids by medical doctors and now find themselves living in a hell they never bargained for.

Some people are already emotionally unbalanced and do not fully comprehend the possibility of overdosing.

Some people are in so much emotional pain that they have to block out the feelings and memories to get through their day. 

Regarding this very sad story of a young girl who appeared to have all that she could ask for, no matter what the family chooses to reveal, we may never know the reality of how the overdose came about, what emotional pain she was in, the nature of her sexual abuse by "someone she knew and loved", and barring a suicide note, we'll never know her conscious intent.

@jazzed  Pretty much.  Some people have a death wish, whether they consciously know it or not.

People who eat to the point of obesity resulting in bad health, people who drink alcohol to excess, people who jaywalk...they all know better.  But they can't help it? No.  They don't care enough to help it.  IMO.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal ,

Your thoughts ( very welcomed ) of the illness and many more that are associated <to>, [ and ] not of any -ONE- particular family, situation, environmental area, former depression, medications cannot be stereotyped as an 1 class of symptoms.

I have been assigned, while working diligently in [SAID] units from hospitals, while learning / studies of many classes, there is no one ball of wax that encapsulated the subject as  ......... 'Yes I know about the illness of mental illness'... which appears just as painful, IF not more, than any one in  physical pain.

I believe many folks have had some experience of some family / friend's symptoms.

It use to be a subject that could never be spoken about or brought forth to have help.

No one can actually identify anyone else's mental condition by merely knowing what happened to that one in their family.  A lot more of effort is being developed. 

I do not know, nor do I (will) can identify.

I have absolutely no reason in doing so. Only a board certified professional in that one area. 

Yes, I am very sorry and agree, so very young.

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo  ~   Much love. Heart      (above)

I posted what I know, and never would I (from studies) try to be one of the professions.

".....I do gain much knowledge from from my brother, as a board certified professional". 

I thought your post was very insightful.

Always, NAES.