Honored Contributor

Re: Erin Andrews wants 75 million from the Marriot!!!!!

Thank you.  She's still working but needs $75 million?  Gimme a break, lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe everyone who lives in an apartment, condo or townhouse, or shares a wall (ceiling/floor) with a neighbor,  should start worrying..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Parents are usually supportive, or should be, when their child is wronged, @Nancy Drew.

My question was not a legal question but an honest inquiry on a personal level.
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Maybe everyone who lives in an apartment, condo or townhouse, or shares a wall (ceiling/floor) with a neighbor,  should start worrying..............

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Or a single family home.

Stay safe ladies and take as many precauations as you are able to ! !

Honored Contributor

She doesn't need that amount of money.

It's meant as a punishment to get them to shape up their security.

I'm sure she knows she won't get that kind of settlement, but sometimes the only way you can get a company to do what's right is to hit them in the pocket.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

While I am sympathtetic to being filmed naked, 75 from the Marriot is waaaay too much. 

@Nancy Drew ...... I am sure if it happened to you you would not think it was enough!!!! .... if you have not walked in somebody's shoes please DO NOT judge!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

Why should the Marriott pay? He asked to have a room next to her (his words) and they honored that request. We get rooms next to each other all the time. The creep is the only one responsible. I definitely feel bad for her and I know she suffered but the hotel did nothing wrong. I am glad they didn't settle and went to court.

@Nancy Drew ..... thinking the way you do I am assuming you are a man(?) ...the hotel was 100% wrong in giving him the room next to her without checking with her first to see if it was OK with her.. as far as not settling & going to court she will make out better because the jury will compensate her for what she went through.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

FYI:

She's suing the hotel for negligence:

"Barrett’s request to have a room next to Andrews was denied, but he found another way to ensure that his second request was granted. He went to the hotel restaurant and used a phone that displayed room numbers when reached. He dialed the operator and was connected to her room, therefore displaying which room number was hers. He then made his way to the 10th-floor and saw that the room next to Andrews was being cleaned as if someone recently checked out. Barrett went back to the front desk and asked to have the specific room number, saying that it was being cleaned, and this time, his request was accepted as the front desk clerk verified it was ready.

Barrett reported in a video that was used in trial that the two rooms were in an alcove, therefore not being visible to guests in the hallway. When Andrews left her room, he removed and altered the peephole so it was removable. Later in the day, he heard the water running from Andrews’ shower and when he heard the shower turn off, he pressed his phone’s camera to the peephole and recorded her change into her clothes and developed a four-and-a-half minute video."

http://thepublicslate.com/2016/03/erin-andrews-sues-marriott-in-75-million-stalker-trial/

@Noel7 .... thanks for your post ... maybe some of the posters who commented without knowing all the facts will realize that the hotel was wrong & she deserves the money!!

Respected Contributor

I am outraged for her, that someone can invade the privacy of another person and spread that kind video all over the internet seems, well, heinous.

Having said that, I don't think the Marriott should have to pay that high settlement.   The creep should be punished.  He's the person responsible.  The hotel should pay something but nothing near the amount she's asking for.

I seldom side with large settlements like this.  First, the money won't make this go away.  Second, usually the rest of us pay for this kind settlement in one way or another in the form of increased premiums or fees for services.  Yes, you can always choose to use a different hotel.  But rates will go up, the insurance company will recoup their losses, often by increasing their rates for the rest of their customers. 

But, on a basic level, she was wronged in such an awful way.  Such a creepy creeperton, that guy is.  Ugh.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

Marriott could of settled. They didn't. They are taking a stand. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.....

@Nancy Drew .... thank God you are not on the jury!!!!!