Honored Contributor

Re: Erin Andrews wants 75 million from the Marriot!!!!!

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

...He'd apparently done this to other people in other hotel rooms in the past and had recently started stalking Erin and following her from city to city....  

@gardenman

Interesting...I wonder...was EA aware that he had started stalking her? 

I don't know if she knew about it but he also filmed her in her hotel in Columbus, Ohio and Milwaukee.  Those hotels were originally a part of the suit and then they amended their complaint.  The police found the tape from Milwaukee on Barrett's computer but it hadn't been released to the public.  

Super Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

Yes, she should receive damages.  No, she should not receive 75 million dollars.  

It's an egregious sum to ask for.

Jim Rome reportedly makes $30 million a year as a sportscaster (he's said to be the highest paid sports broadcaster now) and if the video cost Erin Andrews a chance at a comparable job, then $75 million in potential lost earnings isn't too out of line. There's a lot of money in sports and sports broadcasting. Jim Rome is reportedly worth over $100 million. It's up to the jury to decide how much this affected her future potential earnings, but $75 million isn't terribly out of line.

-----------------

30 million as a sportscaster? How incredibly obscene to earn that kind of money. Funny how some vilify the rich CEO"s for earning big bucks, but somehow those same people hating on the rich give celebs and sports people a free pass when it comes to their earnings.

Honored Contributor

I find it truly bizarre that some posters think they understand all that goes into entertainment salaries .... or court settlements.   Sports entertainment is an ENORMOUS profit center.    What Andrews is asking is definitely  in line with other settlements, but this will be decided by the jury and/or the judge.

I recall the uproar when the Friends cast held out for $1 million an episode, each.   They weren't wrong to ask for this, because the production company was going to easily make half a billion, or more, on re-runs.    Asking for a fair piece of the pie is a good business decision.    What should they have "settled" for?      $20 an hour???    Please!!

Super Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I find it truly bizarre that some posters think they understand all that goes into entertainment salaries .... or court settlements.   Sports entertainment is an ENORMOUS profit center.    What Andrews is asking is definitely  in line with other settlements, but this will be decided by the jury and/or the judge.

I recall the uproar when the Friends cast held out for $1 million an episode, each.   They weren't wrong to ask for this, because the production company was going to easily make half a billion, or more, on re-runs.    Asking for a fair piece of the pie is a good business decision.    What should they have "settled" for?      $20 an hour???    Please!!

I find it truly bizarre that rich CEO's are held to a different 

standard than people in the Entertainment and Sports industries.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

She deserves the money. The guy called and asked for a room adjacent to Erin's and they gave it to him. Then in the trial they argue that being filmed naked helped her career.  She deserves every penny she can get.

After the Defense made that remark 'that being filmed naked helped her career' - that is a double slap across the face  -   I hope she gets 75 Million.  What an insult.

The worse part is that she will have to re-live the incident when her children (if she has Kids) find out or she tells them.  

This woman has Family that have also suffered along with their Daughter, Sister, ect.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

The problem is, if she recovers a ginormous settlement from Barrett, he won't be able to pay it so what is the use? 

The only way it will get paid is if there is a settlement again the other defendants and it is proven they were all in kahoots together.  Then the other defendants may or would have to pay Barretts share of the verdict.

Getting a giant settlement in a court case is one thing.  Actually collecting on it is quite another.

Honored Contributor

I doubt her lawyers think she will get that much.   Pain and suffering, definitely, but I don't think we are aware of how her career has been affected.

Honored Contributor

@justmyopinion wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

Yes, she should receive damages.  No, she should not receive 75 million dollars.  

It's an egregious sum to ask for.

Jim Rome reportedly makes $30 million a year as a sportscaster (he's said to be the highest paid sports broadcaster now) and if the video cost Erin Andrews a chance at a comparable job, then $75 million in potential lost earnings isn't too out of line. There's a lot of money in sports and sports broadcasting. Jim Rome is reportedly worth over $100 million. It's up to the jury to decide how much this affected her future potential earnings, but $75 million isn't terribly out of line.

-----------------

30 million as a sportscaster? How incredibly obscene to earn that kind of money. Funny how some vilify the rich CEO"s for earning big bucks, but somehow those same people hating on the rich give celebs and sports people a free pass when it comes to their earnings.

Jim Rome's show is syndicated. He makes the money from the commercials that run nationally. Stations pick him up because he's entertaining (and they don't need to hire a local mid-day DJ either!). Stations get a certain amount of commercial inventory to sell locally and his synicate gets the bulk of the national ad business.

Rush makes LOTS more than Rome does, using the same business model. In fact, his show was one of the leaders in creating the syndication model in radio. Picking up Rome or Rush gives a station a solid, professional entertainer - a higher caliber than anyone that they could afford locally. The profits they make from the commercials come with lower staff overhead - board operators usually make minimum wage or slightly more - some are even unpaid interns.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@MacDUFF wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

...He'd apparently done this to other people in other hotel rooms in the past and had recently started stalking Erin and following her from city to city....  

@gardenman

Interesting...I wonder...was EA aware that he had started stalking her? 

I don't know if she knew about it but he also filmed her in her hotel in Columbus, Ohio and Milwaukee.  Those hotels were originally a part of the suit and then they amended their complaint.  The police found the tape from Milwaukee on Barrett's computer but it hadn't been released to the public.  

@Lipstickdiva

Thx.  I think I should have asked my question this way:  Was EA aware before she checked into the Marriott that the perv was stalking her?  It sounds from your post like she only found out about his stalking/filming her at other hotels after she filed this lawsuit. 

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Valued Contributor

I'm glad she won. Should've won more money.