Esteemed Contributor

Re: Equifax credit breach and placing a credit freeze

@Jordan2 wrote:

To check if your info was compromised, they ask for the last 6 digits of your social security number. Is it safe to give them the last 6 digit, that's what's holding me back from checking?

-----------------------

That is what stopped me from checking.  Thought they asked for too much personal info....

And the report about "everyone" who checked got a positive "you are compromised" answer!!

Respected Contributor

Here's a link to a PDF from Equifax that provides rates for freezes and related services by state.

https://tinyurl.com/y9m49pvb

Some states offer free freezes to people over 65.

In the face of this breach, there should be no fees at all for anyone, IMO.

Honored Contributor

Are freezes permanent after the initial payment, or must they be renewed after a specified period of time?

Valued Contributor

Don't think anyone should pay this Company. They are at fault. Funny any news about this has been buried.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Are freezes permanent after the initial payment, or must they be renewed after a specified period of time?

The three I placed indicated they were permanent unless I requested an account to be unfrozen.  

I am 65 so maybe that's why I wasn't charged any fees.  

Honored Contributor

@Limbo4now wrote:

Don't think anyone should pay this Company. They are at fault. Funny any news about this has been buried.

All news has been buried under the hurricane coverage:/

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@deepwaterdotter, freezes are "permanent" until you unfreeze it. There is no time limit on freezing/unfreezing. Freezing and unfreezing fees depend entirely on the state you live in so you need to check your state's specs.

In my state, initial freezing of the 3 accounts cost me nothing. If I need to unfreeze them for a specific purpose, there is an approximate $5.00 fee for each of the 3 agencies, total $15. When I decide to freeze them again, it's the same $5.00 fee for each of the 3 agencies, total $15... and on and on, for as many times as I might need to do this. I noticed an option to unfreeze my accounts permanently if I choose to do so, although I don't know the difference between doing that and just leaving it in an unfrozen state....

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

The three I placed indicated they were permanent unless I requested an account to be unfrozen.  

I am 65 so maybe that's why I wasn't charged any fees.  

Fees are set by each state (yes or no fee).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

Tansy I agree the hurricane has top priority and I hope this is addressed and isn't old news. Not just a "We are sorry"

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

@JustJazzmom

The link does not contain the article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/your-money/identity-theft/equifaxs-instructions-are-confusing-her...

This one should work.

I just froze my credit online using this link with the big three credit bureaus.  Very annoying that I had the most snafus with Equifax😏

I need to repeat the process with my husband's info and check on that fourth bureau.

@SeaMaiden -- FYI, I wasn't asked for any payment to do this.

@tansy  Thank you for that correction....I understood that you were charged a fee to freeze your account as well as to pause and or unfreeze it.  Thanks for the link!