Honored Contributor

Re: Equifax credit breach and placing a credit freeze

@KathyPet wrote:

The message I received from the web site Equifax set up indicates that my information was compromised.  I do not trust them to "monitor my credit".  I have no confidence in their ability to protect my data so I decided to put a freeze on my Equifax credit file.  I went on line today to place that freeze and discovered that they charge $10.00 to do so.  I paid the $10.00. but the fact that they charge for doing this when they allowed my information to be compromised just sticks in my craw.

@KathyPet  

Did you go to the Equifax website and put in the last six digits of your SS# and your last name to get this message?  I did that, and it said that my info was likely compromised.  I then read that a New York Times reporter did some investigating and found that everyone who does that gets the answer that their info was likely compromised.  I'm putting a freeze on my credit, too, but don't trust that Equifax has any idea whose information was compromised.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I had to send a letter requesting freezing accounts after my husband passed. How do you do this online?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will not be signing up for anything. You do so you lose your rights to arbitration when this finally reaches the courts. I checked my SS# and got the message you may have been compromised. That in itself according to Equifax was enough to keep you from suing. But they did not post a legal notice nor did they post a legal notice that anytime you used their product you lost your rights to sue. And yes they are trying to say that now. I would wait and see how this pans out. As congress will now have to act on this. I can wager many in congress will have been affected as well.

Also as a resident of NJ they are not allowed to charge us anything.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't trust Equifax and I am not signing up with them for anything.  I have Lifelock and feel comfy right now.  Yes, I was one of those compromised. Hubby was not.  I watch my accounts daily and Lifelock notifies me if anyone is attempting to use my name or credit cards or whatever. Yes, not 100% safety but better than nothing.  

And on a good day my credit cards notify me of things that I DO and often it drives me nuts.  When I travel I take two credit cards in case one of them in good faith tries to block me.  I ALWAYS NOTIFY WHEN I LEAVE THE AREA FOR A TRIP.  AND I TELL THEM I AM NOT GOING TO BUY EXPENSIVE STUFF.  

Be aware that often the crooks test a dollar at a time to see if the account is active, so always watch to see if even the smallest amount charged is actually yours.  ....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just went online to the Social Security website to see what they had to say about this security breach. I was not aware that there is an online option to freeze your SS number and related private information. if you opt to freeze your SS information you can go online and request to unblock it at any time. this seems like a better option to me, along with setting up higher security settings with individual cc's than trusting Equifax to secure your information, since they're the dumb-ass*s that were not secure enough to begin with.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

@MariotaMurielle wrote:

I just went online to the Social Security website to see what they had to say about this security breach. I was not aware that there was an online option to freeze your SS number and related private information. if you opt to freeze your SS information you can go online and request to unblock it at any time. this seems like a better option to me, along with setting up higher security settings with individual cc's than trusting Equifax to secure your information, since they're the dumb-ass*s that were not secure enough to begin with.

Exactly how I feel.  I will not trust them.  As for my social security number... how would that work.  I need it and I am afraid by blocking it I would not be able to use it easily.  I am forgetful and might just forget to unblock or not have access to unblock.  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

how long before the CEo  of the 3 companies /

are hauled infront of Congress to defend their sorry ass*s

What good would that do?

The CEOs will make big contributions to the next campaign and all will be forgiven.

I'd like to see a young ambitious prosecutor get ahold of one of them.

Esteemed Contributor

when I was getting ready to retire I went to the SS website and set up  "My Social Security" . I think it's just easier access to information related specifically to your individual account. any time you need to access your information, including unblocking your number, you can just log in to your account and do so. I think this would be more secure than having your SS number floating around in the internet world, available to just anyone.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

We’ve added an FAQ to our website to confirm that enrolling in the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection that we are offering as part of this cybersecurity incident does not waive any rights to take legal action. We removed that language from the Terms of Use on the website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com. The Terms of Use on www.equifax.com do not apply to the TrustedID Premier product being offered to consumers as a result of the cybersecurity incident.

^^^^ Taken directly from the Equifax website FWIW

Contributor

Like another has said.  This really isn't an issue about your credit cards as opposed to what they can do with your information.  They can open credit cards, buy a car or house for that matter.  Equifax was horrible when I called them.  They want us to pay for their mess up.  Horrible.