Esteemed Contributor

Re: Equifax credit breach and placing a credit freeze

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all of the information, ladies!  On Wednesday I was able to freeze my credit by phone with all four agencies.  I just didn't feel comfortable doing it online.  For my husband, I was able to freeze three by phone - all but Equifax (naturally).  The lines were overloaded every time I tried.  But he called them at 5am (Central time) yesterday and got through.  Oh, and we weren't charged anything.  In our state, anyone 62 and over doesn't pay to start the freeze or to pause or remove it. 

I feel better now, but not safe.

ETA:  I didn't at any point talk to a live person - all of them were automated and gave me a confirmation number at the end.  Also, most of them said that a PIN would be mailed.  Equifax actually gave the PIN over the phone.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@KathyPet@MariotaMurielle@Elom@Snoopp@noodleann

If someone calls you, claiming to be Equifax, do not answer any questions. It is not them. The article explains.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/09/equifax-isnt-calling?utm_source=govdelivery

I'm not only going to answer all their questions, I'm going to give them my life history, my medical complaints, my proprietary floor reviving solution, the story of how I rescued each of my cats, and my grandmother's lemon meringue pie recipe. I'm going to say "yes" in all the Romance languages, as well as Urdu. I'm going to conference-call them to my neighbors and relatives, so they can do the same. It's the least we can do to help these people who are so thick they'd impersonate a company that's topped United Airlines and VW in the PR disaster category.

Valued Contributor

I went on to trans-union and put all my info in they charged me $7.50 it came out of my bank today and the system failed is what I got when I did this no pin nothing. Now when I call trans union no live people to talk to. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy The way I look at the charge for the freeze/unfreeze is that it's far cheaper than any monitoring service whether its's through Lifelock or another company.  And from what I've read about Lifelock and its counterparts, they're only rarely worth what they charge.

During my first 7-year freeze (which was free as I think Equifax's ought to be for anyone compromised), I only once wanted to lift it. 

Honored Contributor

I have not received any information and cannot do anything on their website. DH just said he received email from Equifax that his information was compromised . DH said the big problem is: you have to first prove you are a victim  and something happened with your information. I tried to explain to DH that he needs to do the credit freeze or call the fraud hotline to be notified of any activity.  What else can we do?  SouthernBee 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

I have not received any information and cannot do anything on their website. DH just said he received email from Equifax that his information was compromised . DH said the big problem is: you have to first prove you are a victim  and something happened with your information. I tried to explain to DH that he needs to do the credit freeze or call the fraud hotline to be notified of any activity.  What else can we do?  SouthernBee 

I'd be suspicious about that email, @SouthernBee.  I believe Equifax was going to send actual letters to people.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

one very important thing you can do is go to the social security website and block acceess to your SS number.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@KathyPet@MariotaMurielle@Elom@Snoopp@noodleann

If someone calls you, claiming to be Equifax, do not answer any questions. It is not them. The article explains.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/09/equifax-isnt-calling?utm_source=govdelivery

I'm not only going to answer all their questions, I'm going to give them my life history, my medical complaints, my proprietary floor reviving solution, the story of how I rescued each of my cats, and my grandmother's lemon meringue pie recipe. I'm going to say "yes" in all the Romance languages, as well as Urdu. I'm going to conference-call them to my neighbors and relatives, so they can do the same. It's the least we can do to help these people who are so thick they'd impersonate a company that's topped United Airlines and VW in the PR disaster category.

--------Boy @noodleann I would have thought you wouldn't want to waste your time on something so inane as this.  You're quite the prankster.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found an article that gave phone numbers and addresses and suggestions for sample letters.

I may try to phone, but mostly likely will send a certified letter as suggested.

Trying to do it online or phoning has been frustrating as it is difficult to get through.

I'd rather just do a letter and be done with it.

There should be ONE place to go to freeze your credit info, rather than doing it at each company!