Esteemed Contributor

Re: Equifax credit breach and placing a credit freeze

@esmerelda wrote:

@MariotaMurielle  They already have that information.  It was one of the things stolen in the breach, along with your birthday, etc.  They want it to verify that you are who you say you are.

@esmerelda, I know. I guess I'm just a bit skittish about putting that information anywhere now.

I remember years ago when we had our driver's license number, phone number and address on our checks and even were asked for our date of birth and sometimes SS number when writing a check or filling out an application for just about everything. those were the days long ago before the appearance of cyber-criminals. I know there have always been dishonest, despicable people in this world, but now it seems they are lurking everywhere.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@corita wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

To check if your info was compromised, they ask for the last 6 digits of your social security number. Is it safe to give them the last 6 digit, that's what's holding me back from checking?

-----------------------

That is what stopped me from checking.  Thought they asked for too much personal info....

And the report about "everyone" who checked got a positive "you are compromised" answer!!

@coritaWell, I checked and I didn't get the positive answer.

eta...What's the source of that "report" anyway?

-----------------

Good...am glad that you weren't hacked!  It just made me think twice before checking!  
   I read it online...can't really remember where though...just one of those websites "talking" about the hacking.   

Trusted Contributor

You can place a 90 day fraud alert via phone and bypass any internet entry. 1-800-525-6285. I have done this periodically for several years. It's not a freeze and no cost. Just renew it when the 90 days are up. Did it for my elderly parents, too. All credit bureaus are notified so you just do it once.

Valued Contributor

Well I went ahead and put a freeze on my equifax acct but is it necessary for all three 

my only hope is I don't forget where I put pin. I wrote in three different books of info.

this is really upsetting.

Respected Contributor

I don't know if someone posted this, but from the NYT article titled "Equifax, Bowing to Public Pressure, Drops Credit-Freeze Fees for 30 Days":

"On Monday, the company said on Twitter that it would waive all fees for the next 30 days for people who want to freeze their Equifax credit files."

The reporter didn't get a response when he asked whether they'd refund those fees to people who'd already paid. I recommend reading the article. If you hit the paywall, you might try another browser.

Valued Contributor

I will try calling the other three tomorrow. There was an article that I just read that said to call instead of using internet. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't trust Equifax.  Is it true they didn't encrypt the Ss field...anyone know?  Negligence.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have tried to get into other bureau sites other than equifax and they are down. When I call it says to go to the website. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Limbo4now wrote:

I have tried to get into other bureau sites other than equifax and they are down. When I call it says to go to the website. 

just the opposite for me. I was able to get through the process at the  Transunion and Experian sites, but the Equifax website keeps giving me a message saying they are unable to process my request & to check back later.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

@KathyPet@MariotaMurielle@Elom@Snoopp@noodleann

If someone calls you, claiming to be Equifax, do not answer any questions. It is not them. The article explains.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/09/equifax-isnt-calling?utm_source=govdelivery

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~