Esteemed Contributor

Re: Equifax credit breach and placing a credit freeze

[ Edited ]

@corita wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

To check if your info was compromised, they ask for the last 6 digits of your social security number. Is it safe to give them the last 6 digit, that's what's holding me back from checking?

-----------------------

That is what stopped me from checking.  Thought they asked for too much personal info....

And the report about "everyone" who checked got a positive "you are compromised" answer!!

@coritaWell, I checked and I didn't get the positive answer.

eta...What's the source of that "report" anyway?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

To check if your info was compromised, they ask for the last 6 digits of your social security number. Is it safe to give them the last 6 digit, that's what's holding me back from checking?

-----------------------

That is what stopped me from checking.  Thought they asked for too much personal info....

And the report about "everyone" who checked got a positive "you are compromised" answer!!

@corita, 6 digits out of nine is an awful lot. When you call, let say a credit card company to activate your new card, they only ask for four. Also, why would I want a company that was breached to monitor my credit activity, even for free?

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Are freezes permanent after the initial payment, or must they be renewed after a specified period of time?

The three I placed indicated they were permanent unless I requested an account to be unfrozen.  

I am 65 so maybe that's why I wasn't charged any fees.  

Fees are set by each state (yes or no fee).

I am 69 and was charged $10.00.  The fees are set by each state.

Valued Contributor

Would life lock handle this. Does anyone use it.thank you Kathypet for all the info

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Limbo4now wrote:

Don't think anyone should pay this Company. They are at fault. Funny any news about this has been buried.

All news has been buried under the hurricane coverage:

Yes, the CEO of Equifax is probably down on hands and knees thanking God for sending hurricanes which caused this data breach to be pushed to the back of the news.  This breach is HUGE.  If your information was compromised these hackers have EVERYTHING that the CreditBureau has on you.  THis isn't like the Target breach or the Home Depot breach this is major, major.  THey now have ALL your credit card numbers,  They have your home address, birthdate, mortgage info, car loan info.  EVery bit of data the credit bureau has on you these hackers now have.

It is time to rise up and demand accountability from these companies.  Call your senators And congressional representatives.  Demand that they take serious action including criminal charges against this company and its executives.

Honored Contributor

@Limbo4now wrote:

Would life lock handle this. Does anyone use it.thank you Kathypet for all the info

My understanding is that LifeLock notifies you after a breach of your info has occurred and will supposedly help you to deal with the resulting mess.  But double check my info before relying on it, @Elom.

Esteemed Contributor

I was listening to several experts in the field of cyber security and personal finance discuss this incident tonight on a news show and one of them said it was ridiculous to expect anyone with a ounce of sense to believe that Equifax can be trusted to successfully monitor your credit information when THEY are the ones that allowed the hackers access to that same credit information to begin with. YUp, you don't allow the rooster to guard the hen house.  He felt the credit monitoring offer was insulting to people's intelligence.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Shopchickie3 wrote:

Oh and also....the heads of equivalent sold their stock before this all came out and said they had no knowledge of the breach at that time??? I don't think so. 

Enjoy prison!!! 

A day or two before I heard. They need to give that money back. There is going to be a class action suit against Equifax. Oooooops, ain't gonna hack it !

Respected Contributor

this is extremely worrisome and now I don't trust that anything is secure. I blocked my SS number access yesterday and that made me feel a little better. but as I was researching how to do a credit freeze with each of the credit reporting agencies I see they require that you enter your SS number, date of birth, etc in the application. while I understand that they need this information to identify the person requesting the freeze, how do we know we can even trust that putting that information into those applications will be secure?

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Esteemed Contributor

@MariotaMurielle  They already have that information.  It was one of the things stolen in the breach, along with your birthday, etc.  They want it to verify that you are who you say you are.

Keepin' it real.