Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Equifax credit breach and placing a credit freeze

[ Edited ]

Lots of great information in this post. Motivated me to websites to find out more information from Social Security, all the credit reporting companies, credit monitoring companies, my bank, my credit cards & also read interesting articles about the breach on Business Insider, lots of good tips on what to do. 

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

@Limbo4now wrote:

I had to send a letter requesting freezing accounts after my husband passed. How do you do this online?

GO to,the EQUIFAX.com website and scroll all,the way to,the bottom of the screen.  YOu will see a topic called Credit report Assistance.  THe sub topics include a category called Place a security freeze.  Select that topic and you will be taken to a page for you to fill in your information to create the freeze on your account.  The freeze is permanent.  IT stays forever unless you choose to remove it.  YOu can remove the freeze temporarily if you need to and then it will go back to being frozen after the number of days you select when you unfreeze your file has passed.  VERY IMPORTANT:  Make Sure You Write Down the CODE NUMBER that you are given when you complete the freeze.  You must have that number to temporarily or permanently lift the freeze in the future.  The charge to put the freeze on differs from state to state.  SOme states prohibit a fee from being charged.  SOme states limit it to $5.00 but most limit it to $10.00

A credit freeze is different from a fraud alert.  YOu can place a fraud alert free of charge but in most cases it expires in 90 days.

@KathyPet  Mine (for example) was $5 for each....Was way worth it to me. We can unfreeze if needed, (which will also cost) but would rather do that. 

We made a file for each one, and printed off the info which has your pin#, (code#)

Thx for sharing this for others..Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy-

Oh I thought it was maybe in one of the links. Never heard of either one either!

But Clark you know that guy recommends freezing with the Chex one at least and other sites did too, also innovis.

Jeez, it all seems like a c shoot no matter what we do.

And I think at this point I need a nice long winters nap!Woman Frustrated

edited to add-After I close everything and put it under aWoman LOL nice mattress!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

The message I received from the web site Equifax set up indicates that my information was compromised.  I do not trust them to "monitor my credit".  I have no confidence in their ability to protect my data so I decided to put a freeze on my Equifax credit file.  I went on line today to place that freeze and discovered that they charge $10.00 to do so.  I paid the $10.00. but the fact that they charge for doing this when they allowed my information to be compromised just sticks in my craw.

@KathyPet  Exactly what was the message you received that makes you think your information was compromised?  I want to know if they actually said that or if what they said makes you think that.  Thanks in advance.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

To check if your info was compromised, they ask for the last 6 digits of your social security number. Is it safe to give them the last 6 digit, that's what's holding me back from checking?

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2What's your choice?  I'd rather know.  Check the address for "https."  I think that still means it's a secure site.

I gave them the numbers and didn't get a message one way or the other that my information was compromised.

Anyone who did get a definite yes or no...I'd like to know the wording.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Isn't this the 3rd hacking of Equifax in 2 years?  I wonder how many layers of security they really have.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

To check if your info was compromised, they ask for the last 6 digits of your social security number. Is it safe to give them the last 6 digit, that's what's holding me back from checking?

@Jordan2

i am NOT going to enter any information into their website. it just doesnt feel right to me.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

A really interesting read is at a blog on the Federal Trade Commission's website, titled "The Equifax Data Breach: What to Do/Consumer Information".  I am not even sure how I ended up there, but one will probably end up at the site if they just google what is in quotes.  A lot of consumers are weighing in with information and experiences there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny wrote:

A really interesting read is at a blog on the Federal Trade Commission's website, titled "The Equifax Data Breach: What to Do/Consumer Information".  I am not even sure how I ended up there, but one will probably end up at the site if they just google what is in quotes.  A lot of consumers are weighing in with information and experiences there.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/09/equifax-data-breach-what-do

@Allegheny