Honored Contributor

Re: Equifax credit breach and placing a credit freeze

@software wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

how long before the CEo  of the 3 companies /

are hauled infront of Congress to defend their sorry ass*s

What good would that do?

The CEOs will make big contributions to the next campaign and all will be forgiven.

I'd like to see a young ambitious prosecutor get ahold of one of them.

Contact your representatives in Congress to investigate not only the Equifax breach but the CEO's who sold off stock a few days before the breach for possible insider trading.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom

The link does not contain the article.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@JustJazzmom

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/your-money/identity-theft/equifaxs-instructions-are-confusing-her...

This one should work.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@JustJazzmom  When I clicked on your link, I got "Page Not Found".

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/your-money/identity-theft/equifaxs-instructions-are-confusing-her...

This one should work.

Honored Contributor

We've had a freeze on our credit for several years. It is the best protection you can get. We rarely have to unfreeze it, but it's easy to do when necessary.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Limbo4now wrote:

I had to send a letter requesting freezing accounts after my husband passed. How do you do this online?

GO to,the EQUIFAX.com website and scroll all,the way to,the bottom of the screen.  YOu will see a topic called Credit report Assistance.  THe sub topics include a category called Place a security freeze.  Select that topic and you will be taken to a page for you to fill in your information to create the freeze on your account.  The freeze is permanent.  IT stays forever unless you choose to remove it.  YOu can remove the freeze temporarily if you need to and then it will go back to being frozen after the number of days you select when you unfreeze your file has passed.  VERY IMPORTANT:  Make Sure You Write Down the CODE NUMBER that you are given when you complete the freeze.  You must have that number to temporarily or permanently lift the freeze in the future.  The charge to put the freeze on differs from state to state.  SOme states prohibit a fee from being charged.  SOme states limit it to $5.00 but most limit it to $10.00

A credit freeze is different from a fraud alert.  YOu can place a fraud alert free of charge but in most cases it expires in 90 days.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@kitcat51 I believe this is the fourth company you may want to freeze your credit with:

https://www.innovis.com/personal/securityFreeze

eta:  This is the original link that @tansy was kind enough to post:

Is anyone planning to freeze with Innovis or even the fifth credit report bureau Chex Systems?

I had never heard of either until reading about them here.

I looked up different answers online to see if we should and most just had a vague "it wouldn't hurt".

And not every state charges to freeze your credit report. When I called the 3 major cr. bureaus there was no choice how long-it said 5 years.The automated thing was fairly easy and that way you don't have to do it online with more info out there.

You can look up the numbers-cnn has them-I think that was also in Tansy's post.

p.s. -I have no idea why this font keeps changing!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

@JustJazzmom

This one should work.

I just froze my credit online using this link with the big three credit bureaus.  Very annoying that I had the most snafus with Equifax😏

I need to repeat the process with my husband's info and check on that fourth bureau.

@SeaMaiden -- FYI, I wasn't asked for any payment to do this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay -- a fifth agency, huh?  This is getting to be a game of whack-a-mole😜