Respected Contributor

Re: Equifax credit breach and placing a credit freeze

[ Edited ]

@MariotaMurielle  Is this what you are referring to?  I captured this data off the social security web site.  I just wonder once blocked thru SS how difficult it would be to get unblocked when needed.  

Block Access To Your Record

Last reviewed or modified 11/01/2016

BLOCK-ACCESS

You can choose to block electronic access to your Social Security record. When you do this, no one, including you, will be able to see or change your personal information on the Internet or through our automated telephone service. You may want to block your information if you

• have been the victim of domestic violence;
  • have been the victim of identity theft; or
  • have any reason you do not want your record to be available.

If you block access to your record and then change your mind in the future, you can contact Social Security and ask us to unblock it.

Go to Block Electronic Access.

Related Publications

Honored Contributor

It costs money to  put a freeze on accounts and to open and close your accounts.... it is not free. Why shouldn't Equifax pay for this?????

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@MariotaMurielle  Is this what you are referring to?  I captured this data off the social security web site.  I just wonder once blocked thru SS how difficult it would be to get unblocked when needed.  

Block Access To Your Record

Last reviewed or modified 11/01/2016

BLOCK-ACCESS

You can choose to block electronic access to your Social Security record. When you do this, no one, including you, will be able to see or change your personal information on the Internet or through our automated telephone service. You may want to block your information if you

• have been the victim of domestic violence;
  • have been the victim of identity theft; or
  • have any reason you do not want your record to be available.

If you block access to your record and then change your mind in the future, you can contact Social Security and ask us to unblock it.

Go to Block Electronic Access.

Related Publications

@Allegheny, yes.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Trusted Contributor

I have a freeze on my credit as well as a freeze on my husband's credit.  It has been in place for about 4 years.  Here is how it works.

When he was buying a car, we had to call equifax, you can either tell them the name of the specific credit union you plan to use for financing or you can just open your credit to all inquires.

You can select 1 week, 3 days, 1 month.  We opened his credit up for 2 weeks and then closed it back.

I opened mine for 1 week earlier this year to open a southwest credit card and closed it right back.

i have tested this "freeze" many time where I tried to open an account to see what happens and the account is NEVER OPENED.  You get a letter from the credit card company saying your credit report is locked and for you to lift the freeze and contact them.

I plan to keep my freeze on as a permanent thing.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

"Although we sometimes use Equifax to help verify your identity when setting up a my Social Security account, Social Security never shares Social Security numbers with Equifax."

^^^^ From ssa.gov

Esteemed Contributor

So I froze my credit file with Experian and placed a fraud alert with the other two major bureaus.  I might put a freeze on those ALso but want to think about it a little more.  I have 2 credit cards with Chase, 2 with Citi Bank and a Discover card.  I called Chase and Citi Bank and requested that they close one each of those cards and give me new cards.  ONce I receive those two new cards I will call Citi, Chase and Discover and request that they close those remaining account numbers and issue me new cards with new numbers.  THat way if anyone attempts to use the card information in the stolen data those numbers are no longer valid.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

It costs money to  put a freeze on accounts and to open and close your accounts.... it is not free. Why shouldn't Equifax pay for this?????

Absolutely!

Honored Contributor

@Limbo4now wrote:

I had to send a letter requesting freezing accounts after my husband passed. How do you do this online?

NYT has an article with the direct links to the 3 credit reporting agencies to establish a credit freeze on your account.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/your-money/identity-theft/equifaxs-instructions-are-confusing-her...

In the body of the article is a paragraph starting with 'In the meantime, here's hoping that this breach...' is where you find the direct links to do a security freeze.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom  When I clicked on your link, I got "Page Not Found".

Respected Contributor

I have not received a notice from Equifax however I have placed a freeze on all the credit bureau's and it  was only $5 for each one. I was not aware it was different per state.