Esteemed Contributor

Equifax credit breach and placing a credit freeze

The message I received from the web site Equifax set up indicates that my information was compromised.  I do not trust them to "monitor my credit".  I have no confidence in their ability to protect my data so I decided to put a freeze on my Equifax credit file.  I went on line today to place that freeze and discovered that they charge $10.00 to do so.  I paid the $10.00. but the fact that they charge for doing this when they allowed my information to be compromised just sticks in my craw.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Equifax credit breach and placing a credit freeze

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

The message I received from the web site Equifax set up indicates that my information was compromised.  I do not trust them to "monitor my credit".  I have no confidence in their ability to protect my data so I decided to put a freeze on my Equifax credit file.  I went on line today to place that freeze and discovered that they charge $10.00 to do so.  I paid the $10.00. but the fact that they charge for doing this when they allowed my information to be compromised just sticks in my craw.

I agree, they should be made to pay!    Also, I believe the recommendation is to put the freeze on all three major credit reporting agencies since compromised information could be used fraudulently.    So that will cost $30, plus additional fees if you ever want to "unfreeze" the reporting in the future.   Ugh. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet I don't understand how a freeze benefits you if they already got the pertinent info they'd need to open credit in your name.  What did you freeze? 

Sounds like locking the barn after the horse has been stolen. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I've had a freeze across all 3 of my reports for years. It does irk me that my state allows them to charge $10 to place and another $10 to lift it so I can apply for credit.

It's the best thing I've done to protect from ID theft. I don't bother with monitoring or life lock. If they couldn't keep ypur data safe before, why trust them now?

I only have 2 major cc's and have alerts on both. Easy to set up on your card profile. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't received an email saying my info was compromised but thinking about freezing mine too. I heard Equifax would do this for free but the catch is you must give up the right to sue, that seems unfair to me. Also heard that you must freeze with all 3 credit reporting companies for the freeze to be effective. Did Equifax give you any additional information?

TIA.

Honored Contributor

I haven't rec'd any notice from Equifax, I will wait for my credit card companies to ask for me to act.

Trusted Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

I haven't rec'd any notice from Equifax, I will wait for my credit card companies to ask for me to act.

The reporting freeze is to prevent anyone from obtaining NEW credit in your name, or buying real estate, etc.   Your credit card companies would be of no help in those cases.    Hackers with your information can also file false income taxes in your name to fraudulently get tax refunds.   It's a big mess. 

Honored Contributor

I plan on freezing our credit tomorrow.  There are actually four credit bureaus, one of which is small.  I imagine a couple will have to both request the freeze and pay the fees.  

@KathyPet -- you need to freeze your credit with at least the big three credit bureaus.

@SydneyH -- your CC company will only let you know if someone has breached your card, not if someone's attempting to open new credit cards, etc.

Respected Contributor

@tansy I didn't know about the 4th small company. Could you share the name of it? TIA

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 I believe this is the fourth company you may want to freeze your credit with:

https://www.innovis.com/personal/securityFreeze

eta:  This is the original link that @tansy was kind enough to post:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/your-money/identity-theft/equifaxs-instructions-are-confusing-her...