Honored Contributor

Re: Equifax Hacked, Over 143M Accounts Exposed

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

I was given a date of 9/12/17 to enroll.  The site said there will be no remindersSmiley Sad

That's what I got as well. 

I'm not going to sign up for their free year. All the hackers need to do is wait for a year and then have at it.  I already have credit monitoring/fraud alerts/identity theft protection through one of my AMEX cards. My Discover card will alert me if my SSN shows up somewhere it doesn't belong. If I get the written notice than I've been affected, I'll freeze my credit reports. The ONLY credit I might possibly apply for in the next 5 years is a car loan and if I want to do that, I'll have the freeze temporarily lifted. 

I'm going to check out other options, @FrostyBabe1.  I tried to freeze my credit once before but it was a difficult process and I ultimately gave up.  

@tansy  It's not fun.  I just pulled up the government site and you can do a fraud alert that you have to keep renewing every 90 days but you only have to tell one and the other two automatically get notified to do the same.  

They need to cooperate and do the same thing with credit freezes.  This nickel and dime for freeze and unfreeze and contacting all three is for the birds.  And I know one of them made it impossible to do online.  If anything good comes of this, maybe that will be it.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@dooBdoo, the information you provided is eye-opening and very alarming. May I ask where you got that info?

Interestingly, I just ordered a free credit report, which I had been meaning to keep up with every 4 months from each credit agency, but have neglected it. The agency sites seem to be different from the last time I visited them in that they seem to be more confusing and seem to point you in the direction of signing up for their security program, which you have to pay for.  So now that you've mentioned this third party, I am not going to enroll in this supposedly complimentary security program with Equifax. I don't trust them or their practices.  Thank you.

@SaRina  I believe the only authorized free site is annualcreditreport.com.  There should be zero charge for your report once a year.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

No, mtc, nothing is safe in this day and age.  

And I don't think I'd trust the website to tell you what you need to know, either.

Sorry, I know.  I'm Bummer Kitty.

I beg to differ with the "Bummer Kitty" moniker!    Smart Kitty!thumbs up gif

Yes excellent post @dooBdoo as I was too busy feeling sorry for myself, very smart @QueenDanceALot.  Thank you both my friends!  Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

SaRina wrote:

@dooBdoo, the information you provided is eye-opening and very alarming. May I ask where you got that info?

Interestingly, I just ordered a free credit report, which I had been meaning to keep up with every 4 months from each credit agency, but have neglected it. The agency sites seem to be different from the last time I visited them in that they seem to be more confusing and seem to point you in the direction of signing up for their security program, which you have to pay for.  So now that you've mentioned this third party, I am not going to enroll in this supposedly complimentary security program with Equifax. I don't trust them or their practices.  Thank you.

Hi, @SaRina!    Not sure which info you're asking about so I'll answer in general.   It's clear that Equifax owns TrustedID, the terms of service are provided, and the site I normally use to check website security has certificate info which would be similar on other sites that do these checks.    It's up to each person to research, investigate, and decide, for sure, but the way this happened and the way it's being handled by Equifax is worrisome.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

And I don't think I'd trust the website to tell you what you need to know, either.

Yes excellent post @dooBdoo as I was too busy feeling sorry for myself, very smart @QueenDanceALot.  Thank you both my friends!  Heart

You're welcome.   I've never seen you feeling sorry for yourself, @momtochloe.    You're a sweetheart.❤️    

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

You're welcome.   I've never seen you feeling sorry for yourself, @momtochloe.    You're a sweetheart.❤️    

And right back at you my incredibly intelligent and fabulous friend . . . thank you for your kind words as they mean a lot to me.  I am just so upset about these companies that are supposed to be helping us monitor our credit now undermining the process when they get caught with their pants around their ankles . . . again, just shameful if they even understand what that means anymore.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@SaRina  I believe the only authorized free site is annualcreditreport.com.  There should be zero charge for your report once a year.

@Laura14, oh, I know that, but you can also order a free annual report from any of the 3 agencies. It's just that I kept getting "directed" to their "Pay-for-Security-Program" when all I wanted to do was order their free annual report......it was so frustrating that I wound up ordering my free report by phone. But this is why everyone needs to be extremely careful about exactly what they choose to sign up for and why I decided not to sign up for Equifax's free protection.

Also, I will most definitely be in on a class-action suit if there is one, so I'm not signing up for Equifax's complimentary protection if there is a waiver involved for a class-action suit.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

And right back at you my incredibly intelligent and fabulous friend . . . thank you for your kind words as they mean a lot to me.  I am just so upset about these companies that are supposed to be helping us monitor our credit now undermining the process when they get caught with their pants around their ankles . . . again, just shameful if they even understand what that means anymore.

What a lovely compliment, @momtochloe.    Thank you, my friend.   Your kind words mean a lot to me, more than you know.❤️    I have a migraine starting to rage (so pardon all the edits and stumbling for words) and when I heard about this hack and the way it appears it's being handled I felt like my head was going to explode.   Believe me, I understand feeling upset about this.    

We really do have little control, since our personal info is being shared even when we try not to place it on websites.    This kind of thing brings out the cynic, with a healthy dose of paranoia, in me and its a situation in which we all need to be cautious, even err on the side of caution and question anything Equifax is recommending at this time, in my personal opinion.   

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo I am sorry for your migraine and I know those are something that are tough to head off at the pass so to speak . . . be well my friend as I so wish that for you! . . . Heart

Respected Contributor

I clicked the link and it di dnot tell me if I was impacted or not. it just gave me an enrolment date