Esteemed Contributor

Re: Equifax Hacked, Over 143M Accounts Exposed

Well LIFELOCK NOT ANSWER I G PHONE AND CA,N,T GET ON LINE. S0 much for help

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The first time I tried it gave me the same message everyone is getting but I tried again this morning and said I may be impacted for those not getting an answer, I would try again.  

I dont know if enrolling in their protection makes a difference so I dont know if I will be enrolling or not.  However, I placed a freeze with all 3 credit bureaus.  Now, I just have to remember that if I apply for something. It is easy to lift it if I need to and it is a nominal fee to do so.  Every state has different fees.

I do think those execs should be hit with severe penalties and be fired. I cant imagine this isnt insider trading or a form of it.  Just shameful.  What a bunch of standup people.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@momtochloe @aprilskies @qvcaddition @SeaMaiden @sunshine45 

@SaRina 

If you use Credit Karma, Credit Sesamee, or Chase of Discover to monitor your credit score, you could be impacted as well.......

https://www.thestreet.com/story/14298348/1/equifax-breach-of-143-million-consumers-increases-identit...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

If you use Credit Karma, Credit Sesamee, or Chase of Discover to monitor your credit score, you could be impacted as well.......

https://www.thestreet.com/story/14298348/1/equifax-breach-of-143-million-consumers-increases-identit...

@Spurt

i use chase, discover, AND credit karma.

so far, everything is fine......no "news" or emails from them yet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Spurt

i use chase, discover, AND credit karma.

so far, everything is fine......no "news" or emails from them yet.

@sunshine45

I would recommend that you go to the link included in MTC's post and enter your info to make sure you werent impacted.  A friend used one of those and the website indicated her info could potentially be compromised and she got a date to check back.  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I went ahead and enrolled in AAA's free ID protection.  

If you have AAA, you can get free basic ID monitoring.  You can also enroll in a Deluxe version which gives you more monitoring  for $8.95 a month.  I may do that later if I get a letter although the site is telling me I was impacted.

Be aware that the free version monitors Experian only (one of the big three credit bureaus along with Equifax and Transunion).  I already have my credit shut down on Transunion and Equifax (<---Ha! That really helped me!)  so Experian is the only one that should be open on my end.  I could not get them to freeze me online years ago when I did it without mailing my personal documents.  

Enrollment was free and painless through AAA's site.  If you have AAA, you may as well get a free monitor for at least one bureau or do all 3 for $8.95 a month which is pretty good based on what I've seen out there.  

Honored Contributor

thanks @Spurt.

not sure if i really want to enter ANY information on their website at this time.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

The past week or so I have been seeing commercials about your e-mail being on the dark web and you can get a free scan.  I looked at it and you could pay to have other information scanned.

I can't remember if it was them or Experian but makes one go hmmm.

@CelticCrafter

You can find out yourself--- just google your name and see all the info on yourself that comes up.....its downight scary........and it's not on some "dark web" its out there on the regular web for all the world to see.........

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

thanks @Spurt.

not sure if i really want to enter ANY information on their website at this time.

@sunshine45

Its like playing Russian Roulette isn't it.......I know on my credit card and bank account I have all kinds of alerts and I always monitor my accounts.....but its scary that someone can try to purchase something or use your info to buy/rent a home/car/obtain a loan/obtain a credit card etc......Technology is wonderful but it seems there's also more of a risk for fraud/scams/privacy................

Honored Contributor

SPURT wrote:

@mtc @aprilskies @qvcaddiction @SeaMaiden @Sunshine45 

@SaRina 

Hi, @Spurt!   Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly (wouldn't be the first time!🙃), but it seems to me the article isn't stating that using those services is an indicator that we might be impacted.   I think it's only some background info explaining that these monitoring services use the Equifax, TransUnion and Experian data to generate their reports and alerts and since they use different sources the reports sometimes vary.    Here's a quote:

"...Experian also sells background check services and identity theft service which they monitor daily," he said.  "Their databases house all your personal data that's ever been provided, acquired though applications, lenders they work with or credit card companies.  They are constantly buying data back and forth."

While not all lenders report to all three bureaus, consumers who applied for a mortgage are likely to have their scores pulled for all of the companies.   Consumers who use Credit Karma or Credit Sesame or credit card companies such as Chase or Discover to monitor their credit score will see different scores since some lenders report to one while others report to two or all three..."

Whatever the case, everyone needs to stay on top of this story and try to sort out what's happened and how we can try to protect ourselves.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova