Honored Contributor

Re: Equifax Hacked, Over 143M Accounts Exposed

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

No, mtc, nothing is safe in this day and age.  

And I don't think I'd trust the website to tell you what you need to know, either.

Sorry, I know.  I'm Bummer Kitty.

Oh @QueenDanceALot I don't trust any of them anymore as far as I can throw them.  The horrible part is that so many of them have our information already whether we like it or not . . . goodness how do you protect yourself anymore?  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

As usual, those with the knowledge and money will do whatever they can to keep their money. And people wonder why more and more of society wants to see the high and mighty fall...

I entered my info and was told my info was compromised. Ah well. My info has been hacked due to BCBS, the government and so many other places that supposedly was keeping it safe...what's one more place?

@Sahmlam, so what do you do to keep your finances safe?.... if you don't mind my asking.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

And I don't think I'd trust the website to tell you what you need to know, either.

Oh @QueenDanceALot I don't trust any of them anymore as far as I can throw them.  The horrible part is that so many of them have our information already whether we like it or not . . . goodness how do you protect yourself anymore?  Smiley Sad

@momtochloe

My friend who says "It's a shi!!y mess":?  He doesn't have a cell phone, computer, or internet connection.

He said all this kind of krap was going to happen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sgraham30 wrote:

@momtochloe, thank you for the link. When I went to Potential Impact & entered my last name & 6 digits of my SSN, this is the message that I received:

Thank You

Your enrollment date for TrustedID Premier is:09/13/2017

Please be sure to mark your calendar as you will not receive additional reminders. On or after your enrollment date, please return tofaq.trustedidpremier.com and click the link to continue through the enrollment process.

For more information visit the FAQ page.

I'm guessing that I'm among those whose data has been compromised?

@sgraham30 I received the same message so I am assuming we are among those that may have been compromised.  Do I want to be a part of their Trusted Premier program? . . . NO, please blow my data out of your records as you are causing me more problems than you are even remotely worth.

GAH!

eta:  and I am even more enraged that they will not be sending out a reminder about that spiffy Premier service that probably got me into this situation in the first place . . . jerks.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina  Not much you can do. DH works in the cyber world dealing with hard-core criminals; he's one of the good guys who go after the scum and does everything in his power to make them pay for a long time and in not comfortable surroundings. In the end, because everyone wants you to be in their system, your info is going to be exposed on a constant level. You can change passwords, you can shift money around, you can put protection on your credit cards/debit cards but really...there's nothing you can do.

We use cash most of the time. We don't give our SS number to anyone or any office (they don't need it). But when your employer is hacked, when your health insurance is hacked, when places the MUST have your personal info is hacked......you're screwed. Keep a close eye on everything, keep records for YEARS and go on living your life.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@momtochloe

My friend who says "It's a shi!!y mess":?  He doesn't have a cell phone, computer, or internet connection.

@QueenDanceALot what upsets me the most about this is that I live a very quiet internet related life.  I do very little online and only shop at a few stores.  I had the incredibly bad luck to shop at both Home Depot and Target during the timeframes that they were hacked (and I rarely shop at either of them.  In fact, I believe I was at Target when they were swapping out the card readers that started their mess in the first place.  Had I had been in a different line things may have been different).  I just find this to be so frustrating.

Honored Contributor

I just go from one complimentary monitoring service to another!  

I just came off of Blue Cross Blue Shield Athem's free one year and now I have an enrollment date for next Tuesday for this.  

AAA has been telling me I get complimentary monitoring with my membership.  I am going to jump on that as well.  

I have had two legal names in my life and one I got an enrollment date and the other one I was told that I was not affected.  I assume if you get an enrollment date, you're part of it.  Smiley Sad

I can tell you that when BCBS happened, I froze my credit.  You have to do that with all three companies and I want to say I was successful with two but there was one that they wanted me to mail my license, ss card info and basically everything you should safeguard with your life to a PO Box in TX. That didn't happen.  

There was also a small $3 fee I think I had to pay to do that with each company and I think you have to pay it again to unfreeze if you ever apply for credit.  I haven't since I did it but I'm pretty sure that's how that all works.  It stops anyone from getting credit in your name.

My biggest fear with this one is they have everything they need to clean out my bank accounts and 401k.

I just went and put every alert I could find for my bank accounts.  I already have one on my credit card which I don't really worry about since that's all refundable.  But I now have my bank sending me my daily balance every day to make sure it is what it is supposed to be.

These people need to find something better to do with themselves! 

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@momtochloe

@QueenDanceALot what upsets me the most about this is that I live a very quiet internet related life.  I do very little online and only shop at a few stores.  I had the incredibly bad luck to shop at both Home Depot and Target during the timeframes that they were hacked (and I rarely shop at either of them.  In fact, I believe I was at Target when they were swapping out the card readers that started their mess in the first place.  Had I had been in a different line things may have been different).  I just find this to be so frustrating.

@momtochloe

I'm sorry, mtc.  I'm keeping paws crossed that everything will be O.K. with you!

Honored Contributor

Sheez...how is it legal that the company knew about this on 7/29 and consumers are only now being told??

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

Sheez...how is it legal that the company knew about this on 7/29 and consumers are only now being told??

@tansy  That burns me too.  It's like they were waiting for a major news event (Hurricane Irma) to bury the story and protect their stock prices.  So many people are not paying attention because they are evacuating or figuring out how to rebuild their homes.   And now this!