Trusted Contributor

Equifax Breach News on CBS Chicago News this Past Week

I just want to make a comment here because a search of forums on the breach are all at least 10 days old.

The CBS News featured a story this past week with an interview of someone who strongly believes she lost over $500 in a Chase Bank Account after going to the website for Equifax Security.  She filled in all of her information to be put on the waitlist to be enrolled in the free protection that is upcoming.  The reported stated that the security site was not initiated by Equifax but a software engineer created the site to show how easy it was to get information from individuals.  They further indicated that Equifax tweeted a referral to the site.  The only further comment made by the reporter was "this is a real head scratcher."

I cannot even begin to guess how Equifax supported a site that was not valid.  I have heard nothing at all since that news report.  This breach is becoming more crazy all of the time.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard this news story.  I have not done anything like credit freeze yet and honestly not sure what really is the right thing to do.

Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax Breach News on CBS Chicago News this Past Week

I heard Equifax retweeted a link to what turned out to be a phishing website ...

Honored Contributor

Equifax should be shut down!!!!! (After they make good on all the people they have inconvenienced, not to mentioned made to be paranoid!!!!)
Respected Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to post this, LogoFan.  I am now very happy that I didn't visit that site for the "free protection." That is outrageous.  Equifax should be sued by even more people if they linked their Equifax site to a shady site after their mindboggling security breach.  It is absolutely unacceptable that Equifax would do this, again without any regard or thought for anyone, considering the liability they already face from their inadequate data security.  

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:
Equifax should be shut down!!!!! (After they make good on all the people they have inconvenienced, not to mentioned made to be paranoid!!!!)

I honestly agree.  I have not done a thing except to check my accounts very often.  All the news I've been hearing is that most of the things that say they are helping,  ARE NOT HELPING. I'm thinking that Equifax has messed up many people's lives and should be eliminated.

Valued Contributor

Was the link posted on this board to check whether you were affected bogus, or is this something separate?

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to post this, LogoFan.  I am now very happy that I didn't visit that site for the "free protection." That is outrageous.  Equifax should be sued by even more people if they linked their Equifax site to a shady site after their mindboggling security breach.  It is absolutely unacceptable that Equifax would do this, again without any regard or thought for anyone, considering the liability they already face from their inadequate data security.  

i did not enter any personal information into their website either. i am trying to be VERY proactive AND count on my other sources to keep up with my credit report and any possible breaches or unusual activity that may occur. so glad i am set up for text alerts so that i can see them even when i am not at my computer.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@OfCourse wrote:

Was the link posted on this board to check whether you were affected bogus, or is this something separate?

@OfCourse

the one that was posted on the Forum was the correct site.....

This is from a news stations website (cant post the link due to adsand posting links with ads is prohibited by the Forum)

The credit bureau had been sending victims the domain securityequifax2017.com, a phishing website set up by a hacking activist, instead of the correct website equifaxsecurity2017.com.

“If it was a malicious website they could've stolen a lot of people's information even more,” said Ajay Menendez of the SecuritySet, a cybersecurity vocational school in Downtown Denver.

Luckily, the fake site — blocked or flagged by many Internet browsers, then taken down Wednesday afternoon — was set up by software engineer Nick Sweeting to educate people rather than steal their information. A banner on the top read: "Cybersecurity Incident & Important Consumer Information Which Is Totally Fake, Why Did Equifax Use A Domain That's So Easily Impersonated By Phishing Sites?"

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

Thank you so much for that info, @Spurt!!!

Honored Contributor

The entire Equifax Group should be thrown in prison for a looooooooong time and I don't mean one of those "Club Fed" type prisons either............😠

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”