Respected Contributor

Re: Enough is enough clothes line theft

[ Edited ]

I bought a tall collapsible metal rack to dry various things outside. Sun dried sheets, throw rugs, my tennis shoes and even my tee shirts smell wonderful. i can put the rack on the patio or next to it. I don't do it very often but it is worth the inconvenience. My neighbors probably wouldn't like it but privacy fences and the landscaping block the view.

Honored Contributor

Omg....   I haven't seen clothes on a clothes line in more years than I can count.  That's a blast from the past.  My girls have probably never seen it.  There's not much to say and honestly...why would anyone be surprised by such a theft?  We have thieves stealing packages off porches and mail from mailboxes and cars from driveways and even dogs from their own yards.  So, laundry drying outdoors isn't such a stretch.

Esteemed Contributor

@TaylorBrown wrote:

I love clothes lines.  I wanted one at our home now but my husband thought it would be too country looking.  I can remember as a youngster hanging out clothes with my grandmother and aunt. Now I use clothes pins to keep bags of snacks closed.

That's funny......I use clothespins to keep snack bags closed, too.  However, I still hang laundry out.......all of it, except in the dead of winter, but sheets,  always.  In winter I wait for a nice day......I have several sheet sets Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@TaylorBrown wrote:

I love clothes lines.  I wanted one at our home now but my husband thought it would be too country looking.  I can remember as a youngster hanging out clothes with my grandmother and aunt. Now I use clothes pins to keep bags of snacks closed.

That's funny......I use clothespins to keep snack bags closed, too.  However, I still hang laundry out.......all of it, except in the dead of winter, but sheets,  always.  In winter I wait for a nice day......I have several sheet sets Smiley Happy

Brought back a  nice childhood memory.  I remember bringing in the laundry for my mom or my Nana when I was a kid.  In the winter,  the laundry would sometimes be frozen stiff as a board....lol

Honored Contributor

There's a lot of crime where I live, unfortunately. Laundry theft is the least of my worries. Two nights ago I woke up to the sound of gun shots. Following morning while working in my yard I discovered two bullet holes in the siding on my house. This makes three holes now.Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

Did the guy steal womens clothes and intimate apparel?  He could be some kind of perv in the neighborhood. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I hang my thick, very cushioned socks on a tree in the sunshine! (I wear hiking/sports shoes/boots (for support/slight knee problems) almost every day and need the thick cushioning.)  They (the socks) are very heavy after being washed and spun in the washer, so hanging them in the sun actually dries them faster, believe it or not.   I have a hanging rack on wheels in a sunny room facing West, so I hang most of my washed and spun clothes on that rack to dry.  Usually after five hours they are all dry.  No need for a dryer unless it's bedding/sheets. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

That's bad.

I guess everything's up for grabs by thiefs today.

Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Very unlikely that would happen in my little town.  Most the neighbors are decent.

Honored Contributor

Not condoning theft, but many people (and/or their family members) are in desperate need of clothing.

There, but for...