Trusted Contributor

Re: English teachers...question

The misuse of common words irks me, but I sit on my hands and do not comment. It is not my job to correct adults who should have learned this in the third grade!

@2blonde  I always find irony in those who misuse "looser" because I find that they  usually are calling someone else a "looser". Smiley Happy

The too/to is another pet peeve.

I like to emphasize, "I like ice cream toooooooooooo" so that the students remember to add the extra o.

Well, enough of that as I am on summer vacation!

Respected Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

Just don't say you feel badly.  That means there's something wrong with your sense of touch!

LOL! Woman LOL

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Don't remember the rule for adding ly at the end of certain words and when. I hear people on t.v. say a word and I think, shouldn't that word end in ly. It's like it's not quite right. I could be wrong but I don't remember the rule in English for doing that. Does that make sense to you?  

The folks on the thread who explained adverb usage have it right!  But there is also a special classification called "flat adverbs," which are adverbs that can take on the form of an adjective and still be correct.  A good example of this is when you tell someone, "sleep tight!" We seem to be shifting more towards flat adverbs becoming acceptable again, so that when you do use the correct adverb form, it's starting to sound stilted (to my ear).  For example, even though I know the gramatically correct form is "drive safely," I will tell my nephews to "drive safe!"  I'd still use the -ly form for any formal writing though Cat Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I mentally correct people regarding the non-use of adverbs! I had the rule hammered into me in grade school. I think I'm a bit a * n * a * l about it ha ha. I do this when I hear this done on a TV show, in the news and in conversation with people.

I never correct anyone but I always "catch" it!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal, Google is your friend!

Adding -ly

We often make an adverb by adding -ly to an adjective, for example: quick, quickly

Spelling Rule
Just add -ly to the end of the adjective:

• coy, coyly
  • loud, loudly
  • beautiful, beautifully
  • senseless, senselessly
  • intelligent, intelligently

Exceptions
(note: C=consonant)

If adj. ends in do this and add Examples

-llnothingyfull, fully
C + leremove final eyterrible, terribly