Honored Contributor

Re: England Announces New Lockdown.

@Still Raining wrote:

It is reported that this is due to the hospitals being at capacity.  You can set up tents but you can't hatch medical personnel.  

We are seeing hospitals being near full here too.  

Think about what you have done to stop the spread.  Travel?  Visits?  Not masking?  Lots of in person shopping?  Hair or gym?

@Still Raining 

What I have done? Strange questions in my book. You know that my private life I have always kept very private.  :-) 

Others can live their lives, legally, any way they choose. They owe no one any explanations. There are many that never have liked the way I chose/choose to live my life. Has it bothered me in the least over all these decades?  Been happy, still happy, still living my life my way and still lovin every single day. 

Others?  ICNCL

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  You seem by your post not to believe the experts, who do you believe?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I find the term "expert" over used. Eveyone seems to be an expert, so many that it doesn't pay to listen to most of them anymore. Just take precautions, stay safe and don't fall for everything "experts" say.  I'm thinking half of them don't even have the necessary credentials. 

BTW, everyone has their own opinion on lockdowns. We can argue forever, but no one will change their minds anytime soon. Mostly we just need to agree to disagree and leave it at that. 

@teganslaw   A very sensible post.  I agree with everything you said.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest   there are no experts on this virus.  The  so called "experts" are flying by the seat of their pants.

If you research the pandemic of 1918, you will see that social distancing and masks were all they had and they did it.  It's a hundred years later and the experts are telling us to do the same things.

The expert first told us not to use masks, then they changed their minds.  Some experts say the vaccines are going to help, other experts with the same qualifications are telling us to protect our immune systems with Vitamin D3 and forget the vaccines.

The media is so full of hype and they just want to make money and scare people and create panic.  Yesterday, I read that all these spray virus killers are not helping at all.  Yet, people are fighting to get these products.

No one knows what is working and what is not working.  I live in PA.  We are mandated to wear masks outside and in public buildings.  I see masks everywhere and in just about everyone is wearing one even while walking on lonely roads.  Covid is still spreading.

I have three adult children who along with their spouses have worked everyday though this pandemic.  They are not sick.  Millions of people go to work everyday and they are not sick either.

I know people who stay home and have everything delivered and they got sick.  I have read where people in apartment buildings all got sick because Covid was spread through the vents.

I fear we are running away and trying to avoid an invisible enemy.  Who knows where it will show up?  No one.

No matter what we do or try, it's not working well, but if we don't open up our country, we will have bigger problems that will last longer than COVID 19.

Honored Contributor

When we went under lockdown in Ohio back in March, the whole point was to flatten the curve, allow the state to obtain and stockpile PPE and not overwhelm the hospital system.  That worked at that time and Ohio accomplished just that.  I think some people thought we were going to eradicate the virus with the lockdown. 

As things began to re-open, the virus continued on and as summer turned to fall, things began to get worse.  Everything the director of the Ohio Department of Health had said back in March would happen without the lockdowns is exactly what happened.  10,000+ cases a day, hospitals becoming overwhelmed, etc.  

When our numbers began to get out of control, physicians from various hospitals were stating that the spread was coming from gatherings such as weddings, showers, birthday parties, football watch parties.  They weren't see the spread coming from restaurants, bars, gyms, salons.  Now some counties are too overwhelmed with cases to conduct contact tracing anymore.  If you test positive you are on your own to notify the people you have been around. 

Now we are under a curfew from 10 pm until 5 am and have been for months.  It was extended last week to January 23.  Bars, restaurants, etc. have to close and people are supposed to be home by 10 except you can be out for a few reasons.     

Some of the stuff being done just makes no sense to me.  So a bar has to close by 10 but up until 10 many of them are packed.  What makes 10 the magic number?   You can't catch covid before 10 at night?  The governor made an exception to our curfew for a Cleveland Browns game that was played on a Monday night.  Now he is considering another exception Sunday night and Monday night because the Browns are in a play-off game Sunday night and the Buckeyes play in the national championship game Monday night. Bars, etc. want to be allowed to remain open so people can watch.  Really?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@goldensrbest   there are no experts on this virus.  The  so called "experts" are flying by the seat of their pants.

If you research the pandemic of 1918, you will see that social distancing and masks were all they had and they did it.  It's a hundred years later and the experts are telling us to do the same things.

The expert first told us not to use masks, then they changed their minds.  Some experts say the vaccines are going to help, other experts with the same qualifications are telling us to protect our immune systems with Vitamin D3 and forget the vaccines.

The media is so full of hype and they just want to make money and scare people and create panic.  Yesterday, I read that all these spray virus killers are not helping at all.  Yet, people are fighting to get these products.

No one knows what is working and what is not working.  I live in PA.  We are mandated to wear masks outside and in public buildings.  I see masks everywhere and in just about everyone is wearing one even while walking on lonely roads.  Covid is still spreading.

I have three adult children who along with their spouses have worked everyday though this pandemic.  They are not sick.  Millions of people go to work everyday and they are not sick either.

I know people who stay home and have everything delivered and they got sick.  I have read where people in apartment buildings all got sick because Covid was spread through the vents.

I fear we are running away and trying to avoid an invisible enemy.  Who knows where it will show up?  No one.

No matter what we do or try, it's not working well, but if we don't open up our country, we will have bigger problems that will last longer than COVID 19.

@Carmie , knock on wood we haven't had anyone in our office that has become ill either but as time goes on, it's definitely getting closer and closer.  One of my co-worker's sons was positive so she was in quarantine.  If someone brings it into our small office, we will probably have to close.  My DH also works everyday and he went back to work yesterday after being off only to find out the guy he had been working with everyday is now out with Covid. 

Covid ran through one of our local courts and they were down to 1 employee plus the judge.  Other courts have had to close because everyone had it. 

And while your area may be wearing masks, what about the rest of your state?  Like you, I don't see people without masks yet my city had the highest number of covid cases in the entire state over the last 30 days.  I even see people riding in vehicles, by themselves, wearing masks.   Either the masks aren't working or people are gathering in homes or at other parties and not wearing masks.           

Esteemed Contributor

There is not one expert I trust because the best medical advise ignores the fact that this is not just a medical issue. It's financial,educational,  power hungry, political, mental health, logistical, constitutional , spiritual and other factors that go into this new not normal. I wish it was so easy to just stay home. Just because that works for you doesn't mean it works for others. Humans can't agree on minor issues, you think we are all going to agree on THIS?! 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva   Our courts are mostly closed.  The prisons are loaded with Covid.  Trials are virtual now.

Our whole state was in lockdown and has been for a while, but yesterday restaurants opened for indoor dining at 50% capacity, before that it was take out only.

I really don't think masks are working as well as some people think.  Even the medical ones are not fail proof.  Some fabrics masks don't work at all and some work a little.  Disposable ones that are reused aren't very effective.

A small tiny virus can invade us no matter what precautions we take.  I think we need to take precautions and say a prayer.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  This was a new virus, and they were learning all about it ,i see no reason to blame the experts,  and people simply are not doing what needs to be done, so if you get together ,go on vacation ,you are at fault. Don't wear mask ,  it makes absolutely no common sense.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

My relative works in a New York ICU.  There were lots of cases of Covid in March which increased into April. First, they had to open another floor, then another to accomodate all the cases.  Many patients were dying, including some who were young and on ECMO. Some even died while waiting for a room which wasn't available soon enough for them and they died in the ER.

Then the lockdown came. It took a few weeks to flatten the curve, then the curve went down.  By the middle of June cases had fallen enough that they were back to one  covid floor again in hosp.  During July and August things were more normal, folks were told to wear masks and  many were out and about wearing masks and enjoying things. I know my relative was able to go into restaurants and shops and basically enjoy the summertime while wearing a mask.

By the end of Sept., cases started rising again. Weather was not quite as warm, folks were indoors more, air was colder which I recently read actually helps viruses live longer. Cases started going up.  

So, lockdown helped them stop the spread and gave them their summer back, maybe not a summer completely like pre-pandemic, but one that allowed them to enjoy it.