Honored Contributor

England Announces New Lockdown.

Jan 04, 2021
BREAKING: England to enter strictest lockdown since March as new variant drives spiraling Covid cris...

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced a new national lockdown in England on Monday, the most stringent level of restrictions since the start of the pandemic.

The measures, similar to the lockdown imposed in March last year, include asking the public to stay at home and leave for only limited reasons. Primary and secondary schools will also have to switch to remote learning starting Tuesday.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

Re: England Announces New Lockdown.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but does the lockdown apply to the RF as well, or do they still do their public engagements?  Just wondering.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but does the lockdown apply to the RF as well, or do they still do their public engagements?  Just wondering.

That's a good question. 

Respected Contributor

I do remember reading they (William & Kate) faced some backlash last month for being out in public (don't remember where) with their kids, and Edward & Sophie were also there.

Honored Contributor

Did it work the first time?  What makes them think it's going to work this time and isn't this the 3rd time for them?

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Did it work the first time?  What makes them think it's going to work this time and isn't this the 3rd time for them?

Most news sites are reporting this story and explain why. 

Respected Contributor

I hope they take it seriously. I've seen recent, dated photos of people in London without masks and not distancing, and I thought they were supposed to be doing both.

Of course, the same thing goes here. It's nerve-wracking to go into a store and find that  most of the customers are behaving as if the virus is gone--not distancing and no masks. I've observed that "guy" stores like Harbor Freight are more likely to be where the guidelines are flouted.

And now there are noises about skipping the second doses that the vaccinated should receive later this month and giving them to the unvaccinated instead, because a single dose provides some protection (I've read around 70%). The problem with the vaccination rollout seems to be administrative failure, and if this idea is approved, I can't see how it can fix that. If anything, it'll be more confusing for people. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't they have a medical ship or two that they can use when their hospitals are at full capacity?  Pretty sure they have that and didn't they construct field hospitals to take care of overflow?  Yea, pretty sure they did.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ. Public engagements?  If they're on lockdowm, there are none.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It isn't a matter of "working" or not working. It's a coping method, not a permanent solution to life's problems.

The lockdown is a way to reduce the spread during the lockdown. Once it's lifted, if people party down and go maskless, infections can go right back where they were. People should stop doing that.

The UK has the extra infectious strain running riot there, just like we will soon here. When infections get too high and the system can't cope, the community has to take drastic measures like that. It's really simple and I'm surprised anyone has a hard time understanding it. In fact, I don't think anyone really is all that perplexed.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr