Honored Contributor

Re: Engagement party gift???

My mother had an engagement party in 1953.  It was like a small wedding looking at the pictures.  I don't know if there were gifts.

My sister and brother both had engagement parties.  I was about 18, so I didn't get them a gift but I know they received gifts, mostly house stuff like you get at a shower.

We are from NY/NJ/Long Island.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I would bring a bottle of their favorite wine. 

Respected Contributor

I’m getting married in May. When we first set our date, my future husband’s sister threw us an engagement party. We’ve been long distance most of the time we’ve been dating so it was a nice opportunity to meet his family’s local friends and extended family. Most people didn’t bring gifts and the ones that did were mostly hostess type gifts that I’d bring to anyone’s home for a party.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Personally, I can't see gifting the same couple three times, and it's not my understanding that engagement parties are 'gifting occasions', but these days, who knows... I'd opt not to take a gift to the party and if anyone has the audacity to ask, I'd simply say that you'll be offering a wedding gift... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

A few years ago when son graduated from college one of his college friends was getting married the following year.  They had an engagement party that was very elaborate....it was held at a high end catering hall in NJ where people have wedding receptions.  

He went with a tasteful gift.

Respected Contributor

I found this information on Brides.com regarding engagement party etiquette:

"While it's A-OK to complete a registry for guests that want to bring a gift to your engagement party, it's not appropriate to include registry information in your engagement-party invitation. Instead, include registry links on your wedding Web site or rely on word of mouth."