Honored Contributor

Re: Employers who ignore weather emergencies

I don't know enough about the Jacksonville evacuation orders to understand this story well.  Anyone know what orders went out for Jacksonville?  And when they went out?

If those employees live in a mandatory evacuation area or the store itself is in a mandatory evacuation area, the manager would seem to be on shaky ground threatening retribution. 

Respected Contributor

I worked for a Fortune 500 Company for 9 years and the company never closed w/our extreme weather. It was very stressful during the winter as I live in NY. We would have to drive in treacherous snowstorms to and from work. My commute was 35 miles each way. The Branch Manager didn't care as he lived 2 miles from the office.
Honored Contributor

Looked at another way, if nurses, ambulance drivers are required to work, why not others? Risky for one is risky for all. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrainActually, even when some people are mandated to evacuate, the authorities always ask the rest of the population to shelter in place (that means at home, a neighbor's home, a relative's home -  just not a public shelter unless that's your only option.  And they don't want those people on the roads -  that's so the road will be free for the responders! 

I know during the early days after 9/11 - even hospital employees had to prove their identity before they could drive across the bridges into NYC. 

None of the rescue workers need gawkers around!

I'm just not sure what the orders were for Jacksonville because for so long, no one expected the city to be hit.  Jacksonville is always given as one of the safer Florida cities for hurricane season. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't see anything about this story today, but if there are food & power shortages in that area, and someone could make me a pizza, I'd be very grateful ...  and I bet many people would order more than one.  

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Looked at another way, if nurses, ambulance drivers are required to work, why not others? Risky for one is risky for all. 

Those are essential employees.  A hospital needs to stay open.  Ambulance drivers always need to be on duty as do police and fire.  Pizza Hut doesn't have to stay open.  No one is going to die if they don't get a stuffed crust pizza. 

Honored Contributor

I can only speak for myself and probably everyone I know who has a job.  A job is just a job and my life comes first.  I can get another job if I have to, I can't get another life.  Also, I'm not a slave or an indentured servant.  I'd leave whenever I decided it was prudent for me to leave.  I didn't read the link but I did get a mental image of fast food workers standing their in uniforms waiting for customers to show up and all heck is breaking loose outside...lol   Which sort of happened to my friend's daughter but not quite that bad.  She and other I suppose stuck around FL longer than they should have to help their boss board up and secure the building.   Well, it seems like he left for a minute and of course, never went back.  He called them and told them to go home.....from his car....as he was evacuating.   

Trusted Contributor

My husband is a grocery store manager and they are "expected" to get there even if it is a 20 foot blizzard.  One year, he was going to try and go and got up the street and had to turn back.  I had to "EXPLAIN" to him, when you are stuck at the side of the road, ALONE, with no HELP....none of the managers at your store are going to HELP YOU.

When AAA can't get you for 3 days, you have no food, no bathroom, get whopping cough...gues what....the JOB WILL GO ON.

It took him some time to "LEARN", you have to value yourself FIRST, if I drop DEAD TONIGHT, my federal agency will KEEP GOING.

MOST JOBS just want a WARM Body to do the "WORK" your health, mental well being, is not their CONCERN!!!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

My SIL lives in Orlando. Her boss would not let anyone off so they could evacuate. He left Fri & told the employees they would be closed Mon but he would see them Tues.

She stayed in her Apt. Since Irma went west instead of east she does not know if she would have had damage or not. She did not have any damage. Only lost power for a while.

My sisters both live in Jacksonville. They did not get any flooding in their areas. They were both without power. One sister got hers back on this morning. They found a hotel with power yesterday to stay at for the night with an indoor pool because it was so hot in their house. They all got to go for a swim, get a shower & a good nights sleep. It's hard dealing with younger grandchildren living with you in this situation when the kids have never seen anything like it.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Okay, I'll bite. Lol. Because some are in the business of risky, and they are public servants?  I don't think all ambulence employees are required to work. They start with sign ups.  But anyway, I do see your point.