Honored Contributor

Re: Employees who have been Fired

[ Edited ]

Don't believe everything you hear.  We live in an employer's world and they  can fire people at will or for any reason, real or not.  Too many states have at-will work regulations.  

I was in management at a huge corporation for nearly 40 years until I retired. Once the company went public in the 80s, it changed.  I can't tell you how often I saw people fired for bogus reasons.  It usually had to do with someone in management not liking the person or his/her style rather than performance reasons. 

Even performance reasons can be made up.  The last business unit I worked in started using a system to measure productivity and accuracy.  Management knew it was not accurate for certain functions but still held people to it.  I saw 7 people and an assistant manager fired in just 1 week because of those results.... all the while everyone in management knew they weren't accurate.  A lot of others also lost their jobs because of the results.  

As the years went by, I saw management get mean....stereotypical mean girl tactics (men too).  It was nothing to see a manager scream at an employee, call names, ridicule, or demean...in front of others too.  It was nothing to watch older workers get fired.  A lot of leaders want younger workers.  Why higher management permitted all that is beyond me.  I refused to treat my teams like that and took a lot of heat for it.  Treating people horribly is outrageous. Besides, people perform better when they are treated well and like adults.

You'd be shocked at the stories I could tell.

Many people filed grievances with HR and they went nowhere.  HR became more interested in protecting the business than the employees.

This is the world we live in now.  The pendulum swings and right now it's all at the employer's end.  

If you have a good boss, be happy.  A lot of people don't anymore.  

Honored Contributor

At the university where I work, we have every six months a PMP performance evaluation with your immediate supervisor.  Everyone hates it because most of the employees are very good at the job.  It's just that they have to write down a different way every six months.  The theory being you have to get better! Most universities work that way.  If an employee leaves right after somebody might assume because of PMP.  But on the whole it might mean they want to move on for the usual various reasons. The entire time I've been there only one employee was let go after the first 6 months prohabition period.

Respected Contributor

I was fired the  very day I had my Federal Court hearing for Sexual Harassment in 1985. I was tenured in a Govt. job. Hopefully times are still changing as more people are saying this is illegal. Complain and punishment ensues.

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie Well, I don't know where you live, but I was born in the DC/Va/Md area.  My entire life and those of my family and friends has been in this area.

I can tell you with all of the people I know, my friends know and people I've met briefly I have NEVER met anyone who has been fired by the government.

I'm talking about people who go up to around GS-15 maybe GS-16, those are the people I know and come in contact with (as well as friends, neighbors, etc).

Look, it sounds like I'm busting on them or knocking the mouth that used to feed me (whatever that means).  I'm not.  This is just a dose of reality.

Most people who do work for the government will tell you similarly, they don't know people who've been legally fired, as in 'pack up your stuff, you're out of here'.

Please note also, I am talking about government jobs in this area.  I don't know about other places or states.  I do know about this area.

I always think about people in the private sector and other states.  If they don't do their job, most of them will get fired (generally).  The companies can't afford to keep them on because the company is all about producing and keeping the public happy.

Have you had to deal with the government bureaucracy lately?  If you get social security or any kind of government benefits, then you probably have.  Call them.  You might be on hold for ummmm.....say 1 or 2 hours (yes, I said hours). 

What I'm saying is the government is a large machine with lots of gears.  These gears are humans.  It's just easier to move the gear somewhere else than it is to TRY to prove this person is failing and needs to be gone.  The amount of paperwork must be unbelievable.

OK, so the easiest thing is to just move them.....Oh!  The stories I know first hand and the stories I've heard about!  

I've pretty much said it all here...the end.

Honored Contributor

I forgot to add something very, very important.  I'm not criticizing the government employees.  The title says "Been Fired".  

That's what I am addressing.  Obviously, I'd say most/many government workers are contentious and do a good job.  I'm not talking about the employees (as far as what they do).

I'm talking about the employees who screw up and would normally be fired in other sectors, but since THEY work for the government, they don't get fired.

Honored Contributor

If you are saying that anyone who has worked for the Government has never been fired you are wrong. And how would you know this? When did you work there?

I do happen to know of people,that have been let go. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Shawnie Well, I don't know where you live, but I was born in the DC/Va/Md area.  My entire life and those of my family and friends has been in this area. 

I can tell you with all of the people I know, my friends know and people I've met briefly I have NEVER met anyone who has been fired by the government. 

I'm talking about people who go up to around GS-15 maybe GS-16, those are the people I know and come in contact with (as well as friends, neighbors, etc). 

Look, it sounds like I'm busting on them or knocking the mouth that used to feed me (whatever that means).  I'm not.  This is just a dose of reality. 

Most people who do work for the government will tell you similarly, they don't know people who've been legally fired, as in 'pack up your stuff, you're out of here'. 

Please note also, I am talking about government jobs in this area.  I don't know about other places or states.  I do know about this area. 

I always think about people in the private sector and other states.  If they don't do their job, most of them will get fired (generally).  The companies can't afford to keep them on because the company is all about producing and keeping the public happy. 

Have you had to deal with the government bureaucracy lately?  If you get social security or any kind of government benefits, then you probably have.  Call them.  You might be on hold for ummmm.....say 1 or 2 hours (yes, I said hours). 

What I'm saying is the government is a large machine with lots of gears.  These gears are humans.  It's just easier to move the gear somewhere else than it is to TRY to prove this person is failing and needs to be gone.  The amount of paperwork must be unbelievable.

OK, so the easiest thing is to just move them.....Oh!  The stories I know first hand and the stories I've heard about!  

I've pretty much said it all here...the end. 

@Annabellethecat66,   I've worked in the federal government in levels from GS-4 all the way to GS-15, and I feel that I need to say I stand by everything I posted (and also by those who posted info similar to mine).   What you've been told about employee termination is inaccurate and misleading -- government employees can, indeed, be fired and most who have worked in the agencies are aware of specific instances.    Also, regarding your emphasis on the DC area, the OPM policies and procedures apply in all the federal government positions, no matter the geographic location.    I've worked in several states...  but for years in Virginia, too, and also I've worked in a national support position directly with my counterparts in DC.   

In reference to your question, yes...  I did recently phone both OPM and also needed to ask a question of the SSA (first time I've ever contacted the latter)...  in both cases, hold time was less than 5 minutes and the representatives were pleasant, helpful, knowledgeable, and efficient.  I'm sorry to hear you've had bad experiences...  the worst ones I've had are (consistently) with Comcast/Xfinity and AT&T -- I dread talking with them when the need arises.😳

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva, @puttypiesmom, and @Annabellethecat66

My husband has been a labor arbitrator for more than 40 years, primarily in the public sector.

It is incorrect that government employees cannot be fired. That is a misinformation that is most often used for political purposes.

If a unionized worker is terminated or suspended, he may file a grievance. If not resolved by management and union, the union can take it to binding arbitration.

The arbitrator is a neutral and makes a decision based upon the information presented by both parties. He is as likely to uphold management's decision as he is to nullify it. His judgment is final.

If a government employee is not unionized, then a similar procedure is involved. The issue would go to a civil service committee.

Either way the government worker can most definitely be terminated, but it has to be with cause. As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing.

Your post bears quoting, @suzyQ3.😊    I wanted to add, in reference to the portion I placed in bold text, that the misinformation has become an urban myth that is repeated and repeated ad nauseam for some reason along with the stereotypical characterization of government employees.   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My Mother worked for the government and she worked very hard. You don't have to work in DC to have a government job. 

@proudlyfromNJ,  I wanted to give you an extra heart for your post and for your mother.❤️

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My Mother worked for the government and she worked very hard. You don't have to work in DC to have a government job. 

@proudlyfromNJ,  I wanted to give you an extra heart for your post and for your mother.❤️

@dooBdoo.  Thank you. She worked for NOAA. I could tell some stories of things she did during her career, but of course I can't here.