Honored Contributor

Re: Employees who have been Fired

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

... I don't mean to bust on the government.  I was paid well for what I did (I was just a secretary and loved it).  But the way the government works is you are a grade (say GS-6) every year up to a few years, you move down the line of a GS-6 so you make more money...."

Responding to this segment of your post, the regular within-grade steps and the associated salary increases are based on the combination of time in the position and also on meeting the required performance standards in yearly evaluations, and this hasn't changed. 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@Annabellethecat66  I was wondering.....when a department within the government needs to downsize due to better technology that ends up eliminating the need for certain job classifications, did any govt employee that you know of actually get laid off?  In the private sector that happened all the time.  If I could do it over again I would seek employment with the government for it seems to offer job security and less stress to the employee's family, children, etc.  Yet on the other hand tax payers are footing the bill.  Woman Frustrated

I can answer this from extensive experience in the federal government covering many years.    It can be very complicated, but the simple answer is:

Yes --  the tech changes or other issues such as cuts in funding and general reductions in force can cause jobs to be lost.   

What often happens:   Since there's normal staff reduction as people retire or leave on their own accord, their jobs aren't filled...  instead, their duties are assigned to other employees.     

It's worth noting that even though the workload increases, the performance standards usually don't and the people are then required a heavier workload with the same salary and yearly-evaluation requirements.   This, by itself, can cause employees to leave on their own accord because the pressures can grow rapidly and immensely.   I've seen a large number of major, even life-threatening, stress-related health problems in the people I've worked with in these agencies across the country.

Also, part-time or temporary federal positions often can be ended quickly to reduce costs or shift workload assignments, and sometimes positions are relocated. 

In general we all know there can be a tendency to stereotype government workers as being well-compensated people who don't work hard, or who aren't diligent and dedicated, or who don't have a respectable work ethic -- that kind of thing.   (Not you, @puttypiesmom -- you're simply asking a question.)   I can say, from my experience in both the private sector and with the feds, government employees are human beings and are just as good or bad as anyone else in any other work setting.   

@dooBdoo, I've had the same experience as you. I think it's deplorable to paint either group with a broad stroke.

I must be lucky, too, because I am always running into both public and private employees that do a wonderful job and seem to take pride in their work. And they range from high-ranking employees to house cleaners, men and women, and people of every race and ethnicity.

I don't share some posters' despair and negative views.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I work for a large company.  It is extremely hard to get fired.  Documentation needs to be in order for someone to get fired.  From what I've seen, some team leaders don't address issues and they move onto another position of the person does.

Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

Good afternoon everyone,

I moved earlier this month and that has kept me busy and away from the forum. I was curious about something that's work-related. Recently, I found out that a coworker did not leave on her own accord (as I thought) and was actually fired. She was apparantly given many opportunities to improve her work performance. Actually, they were the sort of things that were common sense to anyone imho. 

It made me realized that most employees who have been terminated in my company were really given second, third, and forth chances and still blew it. I am curious if you have noticed this in your job. As always, I find this insight helpful for future jobs.

TIA

@JBKO  Whoever told you that this worker was fired should be terminated.

If you realize that most employees in your company were terminated after given many chances, then whoever has led you to that conclusion should also be terminated.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@Annabellethecat66  I was wondering.....when a department within the government needs to downsize due to better technology that ends up eliminating the need for certain job classifications, did any govt employee that you know of actually get laid off?  In the private sector that happened all the time.  If I could do it over again I would seek employment with the government for it seems to offer job security and less stress to the employee's family, children, etc.  Yet on the other hand tax payers are footing the bill.  Woman Frustrated

I can answer this from extensive experience in the federal government covering many years.    It can be very complicated, but the simple answer is:

Yes --  the tech changes or other issues such as cuts in funding and general reductions in force can cause jobs to be lost.   

What often happens:   Since there's normal staff reduction as people retire or leave on their own accord, their jobs aren't filled...  instead, their duties are assigned to other employees.     

It's worth noting that even though the workload increases, the performance standards usually don't and the people are then required a heavier workload with the same salary and yearly-evaluation requirements.   This, by itself, can cause employees to leave on their own accord because the pressures can grow rapidly and immensely.   I've seen a large number of major, even life-threatening, stress-related health problems in the people I've worked with in these agencies across the country.

Also, part-time or temporary federal positions often can be ended quickly to reduce costs or shift workload assignments, and sometimes positions are relocated. 

In general we all know there can be a tendency to stereotype government workers as being well-compensated people who don't work hard, or who aren't diligent and dedicated, or who don't have a respectable work ethic -- that kind of thing.   (Not you, @puttypiesmom -- you're simply asking a question.)   I can say, from my experience in both the private sector and with the feds, government employees are human beings and are just as good or bad as anyone else in any other work setting.   

I can add also from my 40 years of experience working for the government.

Yes, people can get laid off.  Air Force bases can close.  Army depots can close.

Buy outs are offered to those with senority.  I have been involved with a Reduction in Force.  Employees with senority have bumping rights and those with less senority may be bumped out of a job.  Every effort is made to place them in another position that they quality for, but sometimes they are let go.  I myself have bumped somebody because my organization was disbanded.  It's not common, but it does happen.  Sometimes jobs are transferred to another State.  I've seen that quite a bit.

It's foolish to think that government employees can't be fired.  I worked in HR for many years and witnessed firings, not just for job performance but for behavior that happened off the job as well.  One of my co-workers in HR thought she couldn't get fired because she was a veteran.  She had a choice, take a forced retirement or be fired.  It's a process but certainly can be accomplished.

I've heard that the new administration is making it easier to fire slackers by taking away some of the appeal time.  That's a good thing.

Honored Contributor

@carlycat wrote:

I worked in HR in a large private corporation and I’m telling you right now people can be fired for anything anytime. No three step process is required. The boss is sick of you, you’re out the door. They will come up with something. Where I worked, the way they got around lawsuits was with “buyouts.” At least $10,000, usually $35-50,000, or a year’s salary. Corporate America is disgusting. 

@carlycat.  It's called "employment at will" and it's law in many states.  An employee may be terminated for any reason or for no reason at all.  The employer of course must be careful not to violate any civil rights laws.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It varies from state to state, some states are "at will" so they can just say "your fired" and dont even have to give reason.....

Some employers try to work with an employee and give that person a chance, but if there's no improvement, they will let them go......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I'm in an "at will" state. So, you can be fired with no reason and told to leave the building ASAP and you have to. That's it. 

That said, as others have stated, if you're a govie, once you're past your probation period, you're in for life.

Beyond that, in MY experience, it depends on your job and the level you hold within that job. I've seen some given multiple chances and then quietly relocated to a different division while others were given one or two chances and then it was "highly suggested" they move on.

One thing I will say is that over time, I rarely believe a person just "quits" or is "fired"; that's just the story HR/the employee spins. Again, this is MY experience. Nothing is what it seems......

Honored Contributor

In california where I am, yes you can get fired.  For non performance you can get demoted or. passed for promotion.  I admit, it is harder I am told to get fired for so-so job performance.  But if you break rules, they warn you, then you are asked to leave.  The government , like IRS  is famous for transferring you to timbucktoo, so you will quit.  I have friends At IRS, and though they do not gossip about their work, I have been told an employee can ne asked to leave for several reasons. one reason is if you lie on application, or have serious credit issues.  Wage garnishment is a big one.  I know someone who was fired at the city level here for lying about education. I don't know how they can lie myself being the security check is so invasive for some Jobs.  They spend about 3,000@ hire for some jobs.  They interview applicants friends relatives, etc.  they go to their home, they check credit, records.  They go back forever.  You have to account for everything. But I guess some lies can get through.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I don't find that to be true.