Trusted Contributor

Re: Employees who have been Fired

Sometimes employers can be shockingly stupid.

I had a temporary job at an insurance company. My supervisor wanted me to organize and assemble files on employees who had been fired. Well OF COURSE i read them all and did I ever get an eye-opener about about what the people who had been let go had to say about their bosses, fellow employees, the higher-ups, how they had ben treated. WOW!

Later I went to work for them as a permanent employee and I was well prepared; I knew who tattled on their fellow workers, who were "teacher's pet" of the supervisors, etc. I watched my p's and q's and finally QUIT when my dh, who was working for a software company whose employees were starting to get poached by some other big software companies, got his salary doubled.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

So just keep in mind that there's two sides to every story.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My Mother worked for the government and she worked very hard. You don't have to work in DC to have a government job. 

@proudlyfromNJ,  I wanted to give you an extra heart for your post and for your mother.❤️

@dooBdoo.  Thank you. She worked for NOAA. I could tell some stories of things she did during her career, but of course I can't here.

You're welcome, @proudlyfromNJ.    I'll bet her experiences were interesting!    Too bad we can't share our "behind the scenes" stories here on the forums.   Kudos to your mom.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 LOL!  I live here too and have for many many many years.  I retired just a few years ago after 34 years of service.   There is a process for addressing performance deficiencies which can include dismissal.  I am personally very familiar with the levels that you are speaking.  There have been a couple of horror stories in the media over the last twenty years of people who while their cases were being handled reportedly did nothing.  Few and far between considering how many employees there are.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Like most companies, the one who is fired tells one person/friend and then everyone else knows. It's not  HR telling confidential info. 

Respected Contributor

You describe standard operating procedures for any well-run organization. I hired and fired. We always worked with our corporate Human Resources people and followed strict procedural rules, which included several opps for a person to improve--with specific, quantifiable goals to be met -- before termination. What that also did was involve the employee's direct manager in setting those goals and helping to see that they were achieved. Sometimes, a manager is partly to blame for not making job goals clear, so turning a troubled employee around needs to be a team effort. In the end, some workers thrive and succeed, while a few never make it and must be let go.

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely correct.  As a district manager for many, many years I have managed many people and still do.  

It is always preferable to work with someone to improve his or her performance, as it is a better and less expensive alternative to replacing them. 

On the opposite side, however, I have seen many rumors start when someone leaves on their own.  Usually started by disgruntled employees who don’t like their jobs but also lack the wherewithal to leave.   

That even happened to me once.  I worked at a well known large company for 8 years.  I was one of the few ever hired “from outside” instead of being promoted from within.  When I gave my notice and left for another company, some of my peers literally told people that worked for me that I had been fired.   Like someone would announce they were leaving, tie up all loose ends for two weeks and then coincidentally be fired.   Very weird people that had never worked anywhere else and could not understand any one leaving for a better position.