Honored Contributor

Re: Employees who have been Fired

There is also the 3rd reason - being let go which is NOT being fired nor did you leave on your own. You can collect unemployment benefits and can be terminated on the spot without warning.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

My son is a clerk for a managing partner in a law firm.He just said that one of the lawyers was fired for not doing his work despite  several warnings from the boss.Apparently, this guys reports were given to my son to complete or rewrite for the last few months.The boss finally decided that if my son is constantly cleaning up after the guy why keep him on & pay him 6 figures.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@Annabellethecat66  I was wondering.....when a department within the government needs to downsize due to better technology that ends up eliminating the need for certain job classifications, did any govt employee that you know of actually get laid off?  In the private sector that happened all the time.  If I could do it over again I would seek employment with the government for it seems to offer job security and less stress to the employee's family, children, etc.  Yet on the other hand tax payers are footing the bill.  Woman Frustrated

I can answer this from extensive experience in the federal government covering many years.    It can be very complicated, but the simple answer is:

Yes --  the tech changes or other issues such as cuts in funding and general reductions in force can cause jobs to be lost.   

What often happens:   Since there's normal staff reduction as people retire or leave on their own accord, their jobs aren't filled...  instead, their duties are assigned to other employees.     

It's worth noting that even though the workload increases, the performance standards usually don't change and the people are then required a heavier workload with the same salary and yearly-evaluation requirements.   This, by itself, can cause employees to leave on their own accord because the pressures can grow rapidly and immensely.   I've seen a large number of major, even life-threatening, stress-related health problems in the people I've worked with in these agencies across the country.

Also, part-time or temporary federal positions often can be ended quickly to reduce costs or shift workload assignments, and sometimes positions are relocated. 

In general we all know there can be a tendency to stereotype government workers as being well-compensated people who don't work hard, or who aren't diligent and dedicated, or who don't have a respectable work ethic -- that kind of thing.   (Not you, @puttypiesmom -- you're simply asking a question.)   I can say, from my experience in both the private sector and with the feds, government employees are human beings and are just as good or bad as anyone else in any other work setting.   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

What I saw in my last job, was that HR highly suggested management push their employees who were being let go, to resign voluntarily, which meant no filing for unemployment.  

I put the word out to everyone I knew in that position to make your manager fire you!   Employees leaving on bad terms, are not going to apply to work there again anyway.   Also, if management and HR want rid of an employee and push for resignation, they will flag that persons record as a no rehire.   HR hated it when an employee wouldn’t resign voluntarily, and would look for a way to penalize them with a delay in filing for unemployment, but after that delay, you could file and ride it to the end.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418Since we weren't told how anyone found out the worker had been fired, we don't know who spread the story.  If it was the worker herself or a "friend" to whom she cursed or cried, that's not a personnel record violation.  Office gossip even when true can be brutal.  Maybe @JBKO will tell us how she learned about the firings????

Honored Contributor

No, people in government employ DO get fired!  At least where I live.  I know  of a number of them who have.

Life is very different out here from the District!  And the Beltway.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is yet another in a very long line of posts by the OP about the slackards and lazy people she thinks she works with isn't it?  Isn't that the poster who is always complaining about her inferior colleagues? 

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so. . . If I am, my sincerest apologies.

Edited to add:  The post was about "People Who Lack Drive and Motivation"  and was a few months back. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

No, people in government employ DO get fired!  At least where I live.  I know  of a number of them who have.

Life is very different out here from the District!  And the Beltway.

I agree with you, @Sooner.   I want to add that I've seen it happen in DC, too.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was a young nurse and newly married to my first husband I worked for a nursing agency. I'd give them my available days and if they had a job for me to go to - they'd schedule me.One of the places they would send me was a plasma center  where people came in to sell their blood plasma.Very much like a blood bank , but they were paid for donations.It was owned by a pharmaceutical company. Anyway, the other young nurses who worked there warned me to never go into the managers office with him & allow him to close the door.He had molested several young woman - according to rumor. So one day he calls me in to "talk" to me, I refuse to allow him to close the door. He gets agitated, I tell him what he does behind closed doors is legendary and he's not going to do it to me.So he tries to fire me.Yells at me to get out and never come back etc etc. However, I don't work for him - I work for the agency. He can't fire me. I did go back to my superior at the agency and tell her about the rumors about him and how he got so agitated when I wouldn't let him close the door.And him ranting and yelling at me.She said that was fine - she would not send anyone there anymore. There were some girls who were refusing assignments there, but no one had told her why.

This man was on a huge power trip! I heard on the news later that he had been shot and killed in a robbery. Good riddance to bad trash I say.

This was my one and only experience with being fired or sort of  fired.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ

It is nice to hear that there are still businesses that recognize those who work hard (your son) and pick up the slack that others leave behind by not doing their jobs.

In this case, it sounds like the person who was fired deserved to go.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~