Trusted Contributor

Employees who have been Fired

Good afternoon everyone,

I moved earlier this month and that has kept me busy and away from the forum. I was curious about something that's work-related. Recently, I found out that a coworker did not leave on her own accord (as I thought) and was actually fired. She was apparantly given many opportunities to improve her work performance. Actually, they were the sort of things that were common sense to anyone imho. 

It made me realized that most employees who have been terminated in my company were really given second, third, and forth chances and still blew it. I am curious if you have noticed this in your job. As always, I find this insight helpful for future jobs.

TIA

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Respected Contributor

Re: Employees who have been Fired

@JBKO wrote:

Good afternoon everyone,

I moved earlier this month and that has kept me busy and away from the forum. I was curious about something that's work-related. Recently, I found out that a coworker did not leave on her own accord (as I thought) and was actually fired. She was apparantly given many opportunities to improve her work performance. Actually, they were the sort of things that were common sense to anyone imho. 

It made me realized that most employees who have been terminated in my company were really given second, third, and forth chances and still blew it. I am curious if you have noticed this in your job. As always, I find this insight helpful for future jobs.

TIA

So much for personnel records remaining confidential..

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

1. Verbal Warning

2. Written Warning (where the employee signs to verify)

3. Termination

Of course, there’s the Code of Ethics violation.

That’s non negotiable...immediate termination.

Honored Contributor

I have not worked in many years, but DH still works full time.

it depends on what that co worker is doing if he is fired on the spot or warned and warned and warned again.

dh has said to me they have hired people and if they don't rub well with other  workers, they fire them on the spot. if they use drugs they send them to rehab i believe he has said a 1x deal. if they don't clean their act up, they are fired too. If they are caught smoking on business property, they are fired on the spot.

Honored Contributor

Yes, of course workers are given 2nd and 3rd chances to improve and that's the way it should be.  No one is perfect and workers have varying skill sets and attentions spans and abilities.  Some require more training or more direction.  When their is an area that needs improvement the process is to identify the problem to the employe; counsel or retrain that employee; give them time to improve; and review their work after a reasonable time period.  It isn't cost effective to up and fire someone who is already on your payroll because then you are left with an opening to fill and you have to start the hiring process and honestly, sometimes the new hire is worse than the one you fired.  However, at a certain point, if the problems continue, you do have let someone go.  In this day and age, most people are give the opportunity to resign rather than being fired.  Many people who "resign" are not doing it voluntarily.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm curious as to how the OP found out this info. Isn't this stuff supposed to be confidential? Sounds like there's at least one blabbermouth where she works. That's a no no where I come from.

Honored Contributor

Well I worked for the US government (as does almost ALL of my friends).

I can tell you that if you work for the government (at least in the DC/Md/Va area you never get fired.

If a person is terrible and causing problems, they usually just get moved somewhere else.

My friend I eat with almost every day and I were just talking about this.  She knows someone who has been moved so many times it's crazy.

That's one of the problems with the government.  People just don't get fired.  I'm talking about the lower jobs to higher on up.  This person I mentioned is a GS-15.  First year of a GS-15 is $101,630.00 - $132,122.00!!  How about that!

In the private sector, people can get fired.  I haven't worked in a long time and then I only worked for the government.

I've always felt like (and many friends agree) that often (not always) people in the private sector work harder.  Now I'm talking about the lower grades here, not the big wigs.  The lower grades generally do pretty good.

Trusted Contributor

Annabellethecat I know exactly what you mean. I used to work for the Smithsonian and the lady who did the fingerprinting for our Ids was a.w.f.u.l. LOL 

It does happen that the person who was fired reveals this to his/her former coworkers.  That is what I think happened in the example I mentioned.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

My Mother worked for the government and she worked very hard. You don't have to work in DC to have a government job. 

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I'm curious as to how the OP found out this info. Isn't this stuff supposed to be confidential? Sounds like there's at least one blabbermouth where she works. That's a no no where I come from.

Maybe the person who was fired was the “blabbermouth”. Maybe her spouse/brother/friend/neighbor/cousin is the “blabbermouth”