Respected Contributor

Re: Employee/manager...Is this legal?

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz  Kudos to your husband.  He is in a unique position (would love to know which union) and my hat is thrown off and high up in the air for him.  Long may he assert his right to be human--union or not.  Of course, I'm biased but the union position DOES help.

Bravo--please give him a heartfelt hug from a union sister!

Sounds like the boss in the original post is an exceedingly foolish 

"manager" and I need not say more except perhaps start with yourself when you are in a managerial/leadership position and look behind you to see who if anyone is following you and caring for you and holding you up as a valuable co-worker.  Remember--we are all a team, says the management line.  

There are many ways to undermine a foolish leader--and it shouldn't ever have to come to that--when a boss is truly an excellent one.

I've had both types of bosses . . .

Respected Contributor

@havefun2day Ah, there is the legal question, but what about the moral one.  A wise person advised me a long time ago that it is nice to be nice.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No.

Your sister doesn't have to answer the door.

One can still be sick, even if they appear ok. Like they have a migraine etc.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn' worry about it.I am retired now but when I did work people would call in when they were not sick and then come to work when they were sick because they did not want to use or had used up all their sick time.When I called in sick I would not care if someone wanted to come to my house as I would be there.

Respected Contributor

Sounds like a micro manager.  I'd talk to HR if this continues. 

Honored Contributor

She's been there 30 years something else is going on

Companies love pushing out the older employees.

by intimidation or any way that works.

Esteemed Contributor

@havefun2day wrote:

My sister said if she calls in sick at work and her manager thinks she is not really sick, she will come to her house and check.  We live in a right to work state, is this legal? Can a manager just show up at an employees house?  I am self employed so I don't know the laws.  

I can't imagine it is legal.  If any employer did that it might very well be considered harassment .

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even in a Right to Work state if an employee is fired a law suit can still be filed.  How do I know this?  Experience.  An employee who worked for many years with the company I was employed with was fired by her new department head they hired.  HR knew immediately that even though we were in a Right to Work state that the employee would be entitled to a good deal of money should she file a law suit for being "Wrongfully Terminated."  What did they do?  They pawned her off on me and because I knew of her reputation as being eccentric although very smart, I told them, no way. They didn't care what I said and I became her new boss. As  a result I was given a very large raise due to the fact that her salary was higher than mine because of the position she held and the years of her employment.  For putting up with her, I deserved that raise!!!!

The Sr. VP of Human resources told me she would have at least a $250,000 law suit and no way was she going to give it to her.  Long story short, six months later she did file and although I don't know how much she got, she got a good amount of money.  Right to Work or not, there still are circumstances where laws come into play where an employee has been done wrong and will be compensated.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Robertak wrote:

If she really wants to know if this is legal in her state, she should contact an attorney.  

Exactly.  Or find out another way.  Get a definitive answer.

I certainly wouldn't like it if a manager did that to me, and I find it appalling and intrusive, as do many other posters.  But the discussion here won't be helpful as far as knowing if it is or isn't legal since it's unlikely that anyone here knows for sure what the laws are in every state.  Replies are likely to be just outrage and speculation.

Discussion is fine, but if I were in this situation, I would want to know for sure exactly what's legal and what crosses that line.

Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Honestly, just require a doctor's note for every sick absence.  I can't possibly understand why a manager would want to waste time leaving the office to come and check.  The office is already down one person, now they are down 2.

Not everyone can afford to go to a doctor every time they're sick.  And not every illness requires a doctor's visit.  (If someone has a terrible cold and is coughing and sneezing, it's pretty clear they should not be at work, but it's also not necessary for them to see a doctor.)

I agree - It makes no sense for a manager to leave an office and physically check on an employee.  I would not respond well to being second-guessed if I informed a manager that I wasn't feeling well enough to work.