Honored Contributor

Re: Employee/manager...Is this legal?

Several years ago, where I worked HR changed absenteeism to PTO which stands for paid time off.

Too many were grossly exaggerating and abusing sick time. The same people were sick on Mondays, etc.

My, My, My how things changed.

Honored Contributor

I don't know, it's an interesting question.  I do know that in this state, an employer can require a doctor's note before allowing the person back to work.  It's a good way of dealing with people who abuse sick days or call in sick every Friday.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Booksamillion  Google the States. You'll probably be surprised at how many (and which ones are listed.) Yours might be among the "Right to Work states"! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

Several years ago, where I worked HR changed absenteeism to PTO which stands for paid time off.

Too many were grossly exaggerating and abusing sick time. The same people were sick on Mondays, etc.

My, My, My how things changed.

It was Fridays where I worked.   The same problem children would call out sick every other Friday....which happened to be payday.  Monday they would come in with their "I was so sick.." lies.  The company had to tighten up the sick leave policy and after they terminated a few people for not complying with it,  that did away with the problem. That unfortunate thing is that the sick day policy was too strict and penalized the majority of people who honest.   

Trusted Contributor

@havefun2day wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  She is not abusing her sick days, nor has she. Not sure if that has been a problem with other employees at her job. She has worked at this company/job for over 30 years. The reason it come up in coversation is she asked over a year ago for 3 days off the first week in December 2018.  The manager did not let her know if she had them off or not, till late Aug, That's when she said no one would get any days off in December unless they were sick days.  I asker her what would happen if she were actually sick on the days off she had asked for. Thats when she said that her manager would come to her house and check to see if she was sick.  Thought that seemed overstepping privacy unless she was checking out of concern. (This would not be the case because of this managers personality).  What if she were sleeping, sick/throwing up, or in the shower at the time manager stopped by.  Situations like this makes me glad that I am self employed!

Not sure if it's legal or not really. It sounds like the manager was trying to warn people that she would remember who had requested time and what a huge coincidence it would be if they suddenly got sick.

Esteemed Contributor

In my area, doctors asked workplaces to stop asking for sick notes as it took too much time and we are experiencing a dr. shortage.  If someone did that to me and it was unwarranted, I would be looking for a new job/boss.  Sounds really invasive to me.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Employers who have a few hundred or more employees don't take part in such nonsense and have a better HR dept.  The pitfalls of working for a small business to be sure!

Kind of reminds me of Bueller's Day Off when the principal went to his house to see if he was really sick.  

Maybe do what Bueller did but he was quite a popular guy so that helped! 

Honored Contributor

the businesses around my town some are so strict about illnesses they will fire you if you call out more than 1x a month, some have gone so far if you don't come into work sick to prove you are ill, you will be fired.

Honored Contributor

I have no idea if it is legal.

But since the company is paying the person who is sick. Isn't the person who is sick "on company time" but not working that day for the company? 

It was sad but where I used to work, everyone got 5 sick days a year. So if people did not use up all their sick days throughout the year, they would call in sick at the year end. So they could use all their sick days.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

When I was young and stupid I worked for a company that if you called in sick the boss would call several times a day on the premis of “how are you feeling” when she really wanted to know if you were home. I wouldn’t answer the phone and when I returned back to work I got a talking to. If I were your sister and my boss came to the door I would not even answer. That is none of her business. I could be at the doctor or at the bar. If I call in sick and as long as I’m not abusing the privilege it’s none of her concern. Sometimes a person just needs a mental health day. And maybe I’m out shopping, visiting friends or simply binge watching. Just because a person calls in sick doesn’t mean they are in bed with a 102 temperature.

@Meowingkitty.... And if you did have a 102 fever you would be in bed hopefully sleeping!