Regular Contributor

Re: Employee/manager...Is this legal?

Wow! I didn't know that! After 30 years of working there
Wow!
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  Your husband's situation is a horse of a different color.  When you belong to a union, your employer has a difficult time firing you or bossing you around. You are NOT an at will employee.

My DH was a police officer for 35 years and has always worked the midnight shift.  In addition, he worked double shifts a few times a week. He had very little time off due to court schedulings and hearings  during the daytime hours and sometimes he got very little sleep.

One night, which was his needed day off, the county dispatcher called around 7 pm and asked him if he could come to work because one of his coworkers had an emergency at home with one of his children. My DH took a shower, got dressed and went to work as soon as he possibly could, even though we had plans.  The officer he filled in for went home to address the emergency.

Later in the evening, my DH had a call at a private club for fighting.  When he went to the call, he discovered that his coworker was there and he was drinking. He lied about the emergency and just wanted to go out drinking with friends.

The union protected his coworker.  My DH was mad as all get out, but there was nothing he could do.  I guarantee that he never filled in or did this guy a favor ever again.  He was piping mad.

In turn, my DH could also call off sick or call off for no reason at all and he could take off whenever based on seniority as long as he had the time.  He was the senior officer.  

All of this, thanks to the teamsters. It wasn't free though.  Those union dues are expensive.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Nightowlz  Your husband's situation is a horse of a different color.  When you belong to a union, your employer has a difficult time firing you or bossing you around. You are NOT an at will employee.

My DH was a police officer for 35 years and has always worked the midnight shift.  In addition, he worked double shifts a few times a week. He had very little time off due to court schedulings and hearings  during the daytime hours and sometimes he got very little sleep.

One night, which was his needed day off, the county dispatcher called around 7 pm and asked him if he could come to work because one of his coworkers had an emergency at home with one of his children. My DH took a shower, got dressed and went to work as soon as he possibly could, even though we had plans.  The officer he filled in for went home to address the emergency.

Later in the evening, my DH had a call at a private club for fighting.  When he went to the call, he discovered that his coworker was there and he was drinking. He lied about the emergency and just wanted to go out drinking with friends.

The union protected his coworker.  My DH was mad as all get out, but there was nothing he could do.  I guarantee that he never filled in or did this guy a favor ever again.  He was piping mad.

In turn, my DH could also call off sick or call off for no reason at all and he could take off whenever based on seniority as long as he had the time.  He was the senior officer.  

All of this, thanks to the teamsters. It wasn't free though.  Those union dues are expensive.

@Carmie

I would totally be ticked off if I saw the guy at the bar while on a call which he needed off for an emergency. I think I would have said something to the guy while I was at the bar.

If they need to fire someone they just write them up for things they are not suppose to do. If they get wrote up so many times during a certain time frame they can fire them. They normally don't do this but they can.

My DH is lucky the job he has. Most out at the base don't have it as easy because the management makes their life miserable. They tell them even if they have vacation days does not mean they have to let them off??? They don't have that clause in their contracts like DH put in theirs where you can call in when you want. He did that to keep new contractors coming in thinking they can tell you what to do.

Their next contract comes up for negotiations when DH will be retiring. Everyone is asking him what are they suppose to do? 

I always tell DH everyone he works has no clue how they have it made. I have never worked some place where you can sit around watching tv, playing games on your tablet, selling stuff on Ebay etc. It snowed this weekend so I would imagine that's what all of them are doing today.

Tell your DH thanks for being a police officer. It's a tough job that does not pay enough IMO. I don't blame him for not working for someone when it's not an emergency. That's a case that I don't agree with the Union. It has it's good points & bad ones.

They have people at the base that abuse it. They get hurt supposedly so they can take off work on workman comp. I think they have to hold your job for 1 or 2 yrs at which time the empolyee comes back to work to get hurt again so they can go back on workman comp. That's wrong & the Union should let the company fire the people that do these things.

Your right all these things are not free. Union Dues are very expensive. The more you make the more you pay. People complain about it also but they would not have the benefits they have without them.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz your husband is very, very lucky to work for a union shop. The differences between what management can do in a union shop vs non-union are unbelievable. My cousin works for a union shop and was recently asked to teach her new boss the company's computer system. This particular boss had attempted to pin something on my cousin and unsuccessful, targeted her with minor inconveniences- changed the time of her lunchbreak, moved her parking spot further away from the building, moved her desk and computer so she was right in his line of site. Because of this, she refused to teach him the computer system and was backed up by the union. The boss had to attend formal training to learn it.

In my job, I would be fired immediately if I refused a request like that. As much as I like being collegial, there are times I would have loved to tell my boss to stuff it. But obviously couldn't. Having union protection is worth the price in dues, imo.

Honored Contributor

We still have Sick Days, PTO, and Personal Days....The company I work for is quite generous with Sick Days, and depending on how long you have been with the company you will get anywhere from 6-12 paid sick days per year.....No-one questions you using a Sick Day, unless they are frequent or occur on a Monday or Friday quite often....Even then, you would have a one on one with your manager, she wouldn't show up at your house....One of my old co-workers was given given verbal notice about too much time off unexcused, and after the 2nd verbal warning, she was let go.....

So even if you have 12 Sick Days, doesn't mean you use them all, and then some........I rarely use Sick Days, but when I do, I am sure to stay right at home, even if I feel better later on......

Maybe Your sister's boss has had a lot of trouble with other employees abusing their sick time....  

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Nightowlz your husband is very, very lucky to work for a union shop. The differences between what management can do in a union shop vs non-union are unbelievable. My cousin works for a union shop and was recently asked to teach her new boss the company's computer system. This particular boss had attempted to pin something on my cousin and unsuccessful, targeted her with minor inconveniences- changed the time of her lunchbreak, moved her parking spot further away from the building, moved her desk and computer so she was right in his line of site. Because of this, she refused to teach him the computer system and was backed up by the union. The boss had to attend formal training to learn it.

In my job, I would be fired immediately if I refused a request like that. As much as I like being collegial, there are times I would have loved to tell my boss to stuff it. But obviously couldn't. Having union protection is worth the price in dues, imo.

@bathina

Yes he is very lucky. I keep telling him that. I tell him that nobody he works with or himself knows what it's like to have a real job. I know I have been there. Glad I quit working years ago.

I had several jobs where I did not like what was going on so I did tell them what they could do with their job & walked out. LOL!!! 

One job I asked to take 1 week of my vacation when my dad came to visit. I was told I could not take off because they were too busy. They told me my dad could come to the office & sit on the couch as I did my work. I picked up my stuff & told them to you know what. As I was walking out the door the owner said don't expect your job to be here when you get back. I said do you really think I would come back after what I just told you. LOL!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think that it is illegal, but it is not the norm.  I would think that the manager probably has a reason for doing so, possibly because so many employees call in sick when they are not.  

Many years ago, I started teaching at a private school and had replaced someone who had been fired on the spot.  A few weeks in, i was so sick that I could not get out of bed.  The owner of the school called me, I could barely speak due to an extremely sore throat and high fever, and he told me that after speaking with me that he knew that I was really sick.  I always felt that he made that call because of previous employees and did not take it personally.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband's employer was doing this a few years back.  If people weren't home and they claimed to be at the doctor, they had to have a doctor's note.  It turned into a real mess and only lasted a few months. 

First they didn't really have the time to send someone out to check and second, the person could be at the drugstore getting OTC meds, went to stay with someone else to take care of them a little bit, etc.   

My DH is a union employee.

Respected Contributor

This is a legal question.  Why not call your state's employment security or similar agency.  They'd have the answer in a moment.  

Taking an answer from this forum as gospel is very, very foolish.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@Booksamillion wrote:
The manager could be reported for this. Workers have rights.

@Booksamillion

Not in an "at will" state, an employer can fire you and they dont even have to give a reason

N/M.  I should have read all the replies first.