Honored Contributor

Re: Employee/manager...Is this legal?

@Booksamillion wrote:
The manager could be reported for this. Workers have rights.

@Booksamillion

Not in an "at will" state, an employer can fire you and they dont even have to give a reason

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Regular Contributor

Department of labor. She can report this.
Regular Contributor

What is and at will state and where?
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Booksamillion wrote:
The manager could be reported for this. Workers have rights.

@Booksamillion

Not in an "at will" state, an employer can fire you and they dont even have to give a reason

That's only partially true.

At Will Employment means an employer can fire an employee for any reason  and without warning as long as the reason is not illegal.   the employee does have rights. For instance, an employer cannot fire an employee for reporting sexual harassment. That is an illegal reason.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the unfortunate reality is that there are still too many companies who adopted their work ethic from a different era and anticipate that all employees must live to work rather than work to live... Of course, sick leave can be abused, but the solution is to address the matter individually and not to make all employees feel like they have to be ready for the undertaker before calling in sick... It used to annoy me when clearly ill employees showed up to spread around their germs... There is no glory in not considering the welfare of others... It really is a shame that on the whole we haven't adopted a more relaxed attitude to the concept of work and promoted a more pleasant tone in the workplace. If we did, perhaps abusing leave would be less of an issue... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@havefun2day

That's ridiculous. I would not answer the door.

If I were your sister I would look for another job.

Since she's been there for 30 yrs doubt she wants to do that at this point.

Your sister should be able to take her vacation days when she wants to take them not when the company she works for thinks she should take them.

No way would I put up this #$%^*.

They had a new contractor take over the contract where DH works. DH told her when he was taking off & she said sounds like you are telling me & not asking. DH said I am. He does not ask when he can take off he tells them when he's taking off & if they don't like it too bad.

They have in their contract they can call in to take off any time they want so nothing they can do about it. He's union/management so he does what he wants regardless of what anyone higher up says.

He already told them he's taking off the day after Thanksgiving as he has done since he started working out there 43 yrs ago. Plus he told them he was taking off the 26-28th & 2nd-4th. That way he's off from Dec 22 -Jan 6th. He will have 16 days off. Nothing they can do about it. If they tell him no all he has to do is pick up the phone to call to say I'm not coming in today. LOL!!!

He does this every Thanksgiving & every Christmas.

We are also in a Right to Work State which IMO should be against the law. Nobody should be able to be fired for NO REASON.

Even though we are in a right to work state DH works on a military base which is covered by Federal Enclave so they cannot just fire you plus he's Union.

He's the only person from the Union that is also management. LOL!!! 

He's Union, Management, Shop Steward plus Negotiates their Contract. Doubt this has happened in any other work place.

Regular Contributor

I have never heard of and. (at will) state. Hmm.
Honored Contributor

I doubt if its illegal but its not right.  I definitely would report her actions to HR so the company would know what an idiot they have for a manager.

Maybe the next time the manager calls in sick  the whole department could go to her house to see if she is really sick.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Regular Contributor

Where does she work? I will call for her😁
Respected Contributor

@Booksamillion wrote:
What is and at will state and where?

@BooksamillionGeorgia is an "at will" state and there are several more that follow the same rules concerning employees. 

At-will employment is a term used in U.S. labor law for contractual relationships in which an employee can be dismissed by an employer for any reason (that is, without having to establish "just cause" for termination), and without warning, as long as the reason is not illegal (e.g. firing because of the employee's race or religion). When an employee is acknowledged as being hired "at will," courts deny the employee any claim for loss resulting from the dismissal. The rule is justified by its proponents on the basis that an employee may be similarly entitled to leave his or her job without reason or warning.

The 8 states which do not have the exception are:  Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Maine, Nebraska, New York, Rhode Island, and Florida – three limited conditions can override an at-will agreement