Valued Contributor

Re: Employee/manager...Is this legal?

Many years ago companies did this all the time. When my Mother would call in sick, she would say she could not go out of the house. If she went anywhere, it would have to be to a doctor's office or the hospital. And, no stopping by the grocery store or any other stop. If she were seen out by a boss or a co-worker, she could be fired. And when she missed 3 or more days she had to have a slip from the doctor in order to go back to work. That was the rules in the company handbook. Too sick to work, too sick to go anywhere other than a doctor's office. 

The rules have become more worker friendly over the years, but the idea that a company would do this isn't a stretch. You owed the company your time, and in a way it's still that way.

Contributor

@software wrote:

Is she abusing her sick days?

Looks like the boss is calling her bluff.

In a Right to Work state, boss can fire you for anything.

No, she isnt abusing her sick days, it was what the manager told the employees.  She would show up at their house to make sure they were sick.

Honored Contributor

@havefun2day wrote:

My sister said if she calls in sick at work and her manager thinks she is not really sick, she will come to her house and check.  We live in a right to work state, is this legal? Can a manager just show up at an employees house?  I am self employed so I don't know the laws.  

@havefun2day

I dont know what legal implications are, but a long time ago a company I used to work for, did that---a Manager could request that a nurse call to verify the illness OR make an at home visit............

They stopped the practice, perhaps because the company grew too big and employee base grew too large....So from what I hear the way they decided to reduce employees from calling in sick by making sick days and vacation days one in the same----so if you call in sick, you are cutting into your vacation time, which makes one think twice about calling in sick especially if you have already planned and booked a nice vacation....And if you run out of time, you cant request own time without pay....

(Of course Workmens Comp or Family Medical Leave are separate issues governed by their own rules )

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

This reminds me of a time when I had a large staff of employees. One employee was abusing his sick time- we did allow for 5 sick days. I was on vacation in Florida and happened to turn on the tv to catch the today show. Beyonce was performing at Rock Plaza. Lo and behold, who do I see right upfront, dancing and waving at the cameras? You guessed it. I thought I was seeing things so I called the office and to my surprise (not), this person had called in sick once again. He was terminated the next day. I understand people will call in sick when they aren't, but at least be smart about it.

837514213.gif

@havefun2day

"We live in a right to work state, is this legal?"

Google is  your friend. Smiley Wink

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Contributor

@Robertak wrote:

If she really wants to know if this is legal in her state, she should contact an attorney.  

I was questioning if it was legal, not her. 

Regular Contributor

The manager could be reported for this. Workers have rights.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This mamager sounds mean and vindictive. Let's see if she takes off or gives others the days off in December. Lots of businesses have the rule that no one can be off in December especially if it is retail or another company whose busy time is the holidays. if your sister needs her job I wouldn't advise her to call in sick.  Though it is unlikely that the manager will stop by she could. 

Respected Contributor

I think that it's just an idle threat to let mer employees know that she means business.  She's given them fair warning not to call in.  Not real professional, but it is what it is.

Many years ago I worked at an air force base.  The guy in charge of a maintenance section had the authority to send a nurse out to an employees home to check on an employee if he felt they were playing hookey.  Happened every day, and it definitely cut down on sick leave abuse.  I don't know if they still do that.

Honored Contributor

I never understood the use them or lose them concept because when you did use them you got called out on it.

Honored Contributor

@havefun2day  Actually a lot of companies have gone to PTO time because of this issue.  Whether you are sick or not, it's your paid time off. 

My employer actually still has both.  Not sure what your sister's company has but it sounds like this boss has had a lot of issues with bad employees and they do need to have the staff to run their businesses. 

Unfortunately, the good employees end up paying for the bad ones.  I have never called out sick but I have been sent home when I showed up obviously not in the best of health. 

Have your sister drive in and sneeze and cough on her for a bit.  Saves the boss the trip to the house and let's the boss know she is not one of the bad ones.