Contributor

Employee/manager...Is this legal?

My sister said if she calls in sick at work and her manager thinks she is not really sick, she will come to her house and check.  We live in a right to work state, is this legal? Can a manager just show up at an employees house?  I am self employed so I don't know the laws.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Employee/manager...Is this legal?

Has your sister's manager actually done this to her? I can't imagine it's illegal, but it's not appropriate and an invasion of privacy. The company sounds like they need better HR.

Honored Contributor

Unless the manager is a medical professional and holds a degree qualifying them to make that kind of diagnosis (assuming your family member opens the door and grants permission to enter and agrees to be examined), no.

Now if the Facebook pictures go up of an activity other than self care, she has a problem.  

Respected Contributor

I believe if she calls in sick, a manager can stop by to see if you're home. If not, she'd better have a doctor's note as to where she was. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I can't imagine that being legal. If this is a large company, I woulld let someone in Human Resources know she is doing this. And if they do know, I think I'd be looking for a new job.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it’s inappropriate but not illegal.If the boss then says she didn’t appear sick, I would complain to HR.It’s not up to her boss to decide how sick you have to be to call in sick.

Honored Contributor

Is she abusing her sick days?

Looks like the boss is calling her bluff.

In a Right to Work state, boss can fire you for anything.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was young and stupid I worked for a company that if you called in sick the boss would call several times a day on the premis of “how are you feeling” when she really wanted to know if you were home. I wouldn’t answer the phone and when I returned back to work I got a talking to. If I were your sister and my boss came to the door I would not even answer. That is none of her business. I could be at the doctor or at the bar. If I call in sick and as long as I’m not abusing the privilege it’s none of her concern. Sometimes a person just needs a mental health day. And maybe I’m out shopping, visiting friends or simply binge watching. Just because a person calls in sick doesn’t mean they are in bed with a 102 temperature.

Regular Contributor

WOW, I'm glad my manager/supervisor is not like that.  I mean I don't know anyone who has called out sick and not been sick.  Maybe a mental health day is needed.  I do know that in a "right to work" state, an employer an fire you for any reason or even no reason.  But as far as showing up to your residence, I don't know about that.  I would like to think it's not legal.  It's certainly unacceptable in my opinion.  Best of luck to your sister.  This is a tough one.

Frequent Contributor

If she really wants to know if this is legal in her state, she should contact an attorney.