Valued Contributor

Re: Emotional Support Service Dogs???

On 6/14/2014 terrier3 said:

I would never question whether a person has a legit dog, needs a parking space, etc.

Life is too short and too precious to question other people's disabilities....I'm just glad I'm healthy!

me too.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Respected Contributor

On 6/14/2014 lacey1 said:

No, they are not all fakes but there are people abusing the system. I would love to take my dog everywhere with me but it's not going to happen.

What about people that are afraid or allergic to dogs? What if the dog is not properly socialized, and a child runs up to pet it? Only in specific. medically ordered cases, and only after specialized training should a pet be considered a 'support' pet.

Good points.

The only two legitimate reasons I can think of are dogs for the blind and seizure dogs. And the seizure dogs should be documented. If PTSD truly needs a dog there needs to be tight regulations about it and documentation required. Not just a "slip" from any phsycian.

This phony stuff is going to ruin it for those who do need it.

Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 scotttie said:

No, they are not all fakes but there are people abusing the system. I would love to take my dog everywhere with me but it's not going to happen.

What about people that are afraid or allergic to dogs? What if the dog is not properly socialized, and a child runs up to pet it? Only in specific. medically ordered cases, and only after specialized training should a pet be considered a 'support' pet.

Good points.

The only two legitimate reasons I can think of are dogs for the blind and seizure dogs. And the seizure dogs should be documented. If PTSD truly needs a dog there needs to be tight regulations about it and documentation required. Not just a "slip" from any phsycian.

I know autistic kids with service dogs...people who have lost limbs, have muscular dystrophy or MS...there are plenty of legitimate reasons to have a service dog.

I don't think any of us are qualified to determine who can be helped by a dog.

Valued Contributor

a psychiatric service dog is legit -- they are recognized by the ADA and serve a wonderful purpose -- e.g. PTSD

when there are people buying patches and tags on the internet for the ESA (emotional support animal) and passing them as a service dog -- I have a problem.

a true service dog is trained to perform a service for an individual

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Super Contributor

Good points.

I know autistic kids with service dogs...people who have lost limbs, have muscular dystrophy or MS...there are plenty of legitimate reasons to have a service dog.

there are also dogs for the deaf and those with physical disabilities such as loss of a limb or those confined to wheelchairs.

There are also service dogs who visit hospitals and nursing homes.

Respected Contributor

Good points.

Did I say I was qualified to determine? No. I said there needs to be a format for regulating service dogs before it gets ruined for those who truly do need them.

People have said here that you can just order the vests online and go about taking your pet anywhere you please.

Some people on this thread are acting like those who are concerned about the practice are walking up to people and telling them to get their dog the h*** out.

Settle down. My gosh posting rude song lyrics even. Who is the more compassionate? Those who want to be sure service dogs for people who need them remain a viable option or those who just want to snark and point fingers?

Honored Contributor

There is a distinction between an emotional support animal and a psychiatric service animal. A psychiatric service animal is covered under ADA.

With regard to vets with PTSD and TBI:

Waking the owner from a nightmare
-Reminding when it’s time to go to bed
-Retrieving sleep meds
-Redirecting and alert after owner wakes from a nightmare-Physically interrupting and redirecting panic attack

-Retrieving medication, phone, water, family member

-Creating a passive barrier between owner on others

-Alerting to someone behind owner
-Calling 911 and barking
-Physically regulating owners heart rate

-Finds lost objects to owner (keys, wallet, car, shoes, etc.) alerts when found

-Reminds owner of daily routines (waking, meds, work, etc.)

-Brings lost objects to owner

-Alerts owner at bedtime

-Wakes owner in the morningPhysically interrupting and redirecting panic attack

-Calling 911 and barking

-Physically regulating owners heart rate Alerting to anger to prevent escalation

-Redirecting owner from source of anger -Redirecting owner from a potential trigger

Honored Contributor

My DH had 2 dogs over the years who saved him from suicide on multiple occasions.

Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 bikerbabe said:

There is a distinction between an emotional support animal and a psychiatric service animal. A psychiatric service animal is covered under ADA.

With regard to vets with PTSD and TBI:

Waking the owner from a nightmare
-Reminding when it’s time to go to bed
-Retrieving sleep meds
-Redirecting and alert after owner wakes from a nightmare-Physically interrupting and redirecting panic attack

-Calling 911 and barking
-Physically regulating owners heart rate

-Finds lost objects to owner (keys, wallet, car, shoes, etc.) alerts when found

-Reminds owner of daily routines (waking, meds, work, etc.)

-Brings lost objects to owner

-Alerts owner at bedtime

-Wakes owner in the morningPhysically interrupting and redirecting panic attack

-Calling 911 and barking

-Physically regulating owners heart rate Alerting to anger to prevent escalation

-Redirecting owner from source of anger -Redirecting owner from a potential trigger

That is an impressive list of services these dogs provide. I didn't realize how much these dogs do for their owners.
Honored Contributor

I wonder if those getting their panties in a knot over this discussion are because they are ones who are abusing this?