Honored Contributor

Re: Emily Bronte Bursts On the Publishing World On January 4, 1847

As a 13-yo girl I would have rated Wuthering Heights as one of my top 10 books ever and re-read it several times.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@catchersmom, I so agree! Jane Austen mined pure gold when she created tthat literary and romantic enigma, Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy!

And Lizzie was the perfect woman for him. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

For any other Jane Austen fans , I would like to recommend the movie " Love and Friendship ", it is based on Austen's shortened novel " Lady Susan. It stars Kate Bekinsale, and she and the movie are real gems.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Oh, that sounds like a "must-see", @QVCkitty1.  I'm a fan of Kate Beckinsale, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@catchersmom, I so agree! Jane Austen mined pure gold when she created tthat literary and romantic enigma, Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy!

"Pure gold"?

That's subjective, at best.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell, Charlotte is my favorite of the sisters, too.  I’ve read Jane Eyre many times, the first time in high school. 

Jane Austen was ahead of her time. I’m sure she never dreamed that 200 years in the future her lines would still be quoted, and her books would still be read, loved, and made into movies. My mom sent me Pride and Prejudice in 1972 while I was at a very large midwestern university. It was in February when classes and days drag, so it was a great gift. I’ve been a fan ever since. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

What a neat and perfectly timed present from your Mom, @Ruby Laine!  There's nothing like Jane Austen to bring piercing wisdom, sparkle and wit into everyday life!

Austen, the Brontes, George Eliot--  a treasure trove of writers....

Esteemed Contributor

Emily was my favorite Bronte. There are a few very good books written about them,go to your library and find them. There was also a son,Branwell, seemed to have talent,too.  But he wasted his life and died very young. They all did,really. Except papa Patrick.

@Oznell you are such an interesting poster here,never fail to peak my interest! 💕 to you.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Hearts to you back, @MoJoV!  Thanks for enriching the thread.