Respected Contributor

Do you have one, what is in it?

We were talking about this the other day, recently a neighboring town had to evacuate people quickly in the middle of the night after a chemical fire.  

We do not live in a area prone to natural disasters so we are a little lax, but there are a lot of other problems/reasons to force evac's.

I am starting a list of people supplies and pet supplies

Super Contributor

Re: Emergency/evacuation kit

We take care of disabled vets, and one thing we have ready is an insulated bag for any meds that need refrigeration, such as insulin. What sometimes helps in planning, is to make a list so that you don't have to try and remember things when you feel rushed.

And, tuck away some CASH in your go bag, just in case.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it is possible to be prepared. I live in a hurricane area in Fl. and we are totally unprepared to evacuate. We are , however, prepared to ride out a storm, with generator and a hurricane lamp and storm shutters.

Super Contributor

One day one might be FORCED to evacuate; it is then that one would be glad to be prepared. Plus, it would lessen some of the danger to the people that have to help people evacuate.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Get a tote/duffle bag. In it, put:

*pair of socks, t-shirt, and underwear for each person (in zip lock bag)

*toothpaste

*toothbrush for each

*bar of soap

*spare glasses 

*roll of toilet paper (flatten it down and put it in a zip lock bag)

*spare set of keys

*list of emergency contacts

*cell phone charger

*flashlight and batteries

*small first aid kit

*garbage bags

*Cash: small denominations and quarters

*reading material, paper, pen, deck of cards, etc.

(I also have a small Bible)

This is a bare-basics list, but it should help in a pinch!

*AND DON'T FORGET MEDS and your purses and wallets!

And make up a bag for any pets and rotate the food and water. 

It's like insurance: You don't ever want to use it, but it sure gives peace of mind. Smiley Surprised)

Esteemed Contributor

We have our supplies for emergencies and such.  We have to as we are all we have.  Family is gone.  We have food and water for the cats as well.  I don't like thinking about having to have such things but I've lived through some strong quakes and other things so I feel some sort of peace of mind having these things. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

My Son-in-law is the Director for our County's Emergengency Management Office and he insisted we make one.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@PenneyT wrote:

One day one might be FORCED to evacuate; it is then that one would be glad to be prepared. Plus, it would lessen some of the danger to the people that have to help people evacuate.

I have to agree, there are many situations that may force us to leave our home.  Weather situations give people the option of "riding it out" but sink holes, chemical leaks, fires ,etc give few options but to GO!  Being prepared is best and most safe for everyone.

Super Contributor

@PenneyT wrote:

Get a tote/duffle bag. In it, put:

*pair of socks, t-shirt, and underwear for each person (in zip lock bag)

*toothpaste

*toothbrush for each

*bar of soap

*spare glasses 

*roll of toilet paper (flatten it down and put it in a zip lock bag)

*spare set of keys

*list of emergency contacts

*cell phone charger

*flashlight and batteries

*small first aid kit

*garbage bags

*Cash: small denominations and quarters

*reading material, paper, pen, deck of cards, etc.

(I also have a small Bible)

This is a bare-basics list, but it should help in a pinch!

*AND DON'T FORGET MEDS and your purses and wallets!

And make up a bag for any pets and rotate the food and water. 

It's like insurance: You don't ever want to use it, but it sure gives peace of mind. Smiley Surprised)

Exactly what PenneyT said; plus water, canned tuna, peanuts, hand crank radio and baby wipes and sweat suit type clothes (depending on season).  We rotate some of the supplies every few months.  Also don't forget to keep the car gassed up.  We keep the bag with the cat carriers.  I worked in downtown Manhattan during both WTC attacks as well as a couple of blackouts so I'm always ready to go. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I don't think it is possible to be prepared. I live in a hurricane area in Fl. and we are totally unprepared to evacuate. We are , however, prepared to ride out a storm, with generator and a hurricane lamp and storm shutters.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My grandparents live on the Gulf coast of AL and they have a generator, shutters too but they also have emergency items ready to go in case of mandatory ( or personal ) evacuation orders.