Honored Contributor

Re: Email from my bank today-cd’s

@gidgetgh wrote:

I got an email from one of my banks this afternoon.  They're doing a 13 month cd special, with an interest rate of 3.75% APY. 

i haven't seen rates like that anywhere here.  Full disclosure, I haven't looked that closely.  I have some money in a money market there, making basically nothing.  Tomorrow, I'm going to move it to a cd and take advantage of that rate.  Maybe I'm clueless but I was thrilled. 

My main bank is paying .005% on cd's. Quite a difference. 

@gidgetgh usually those higher rates apply to "new" money.  As long as you deposit some $ from another they honor the promo or special rate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I got an email from one of my banks this afternoon.  They're doing a 13 month cd special, with an interest rate of 3.75% APY. 

i haven't seen rates like that anywhere here.  Full disclosure, I haven't looked that closely.  I have some money in a money market there, making basically nothing.  Tomorrow, I'm going to move it to a cd and take advantage of that rate.  Maybe I'm clueless but I was thrilled. 

My main bank is paying .005% on cd's. Quite a difference. 

@gidgetgh usually those higher rates apply to "new" money.  As long as you deposit some $ from another they honor the promo or special rate.

@CelticCrafter - I know.  This one doesn't say new money only. I have a call into them to verify. They had so many calls I did the auto call me back thing.  I called another bank I bank with and they're running a promotion right now.  2.35% for new money only. 0.08% for established customers. It's kind of like the free shipping deal here, LOL. 

Edited to add- I just got a call back from the bank.  Promotion is for existing money as well as new money, so no restrictions.  Since the Fed just raised the rates again, I'm going to wait a week or two. This promotion is good through 12/31. 

I also got an email from American Express this morning.  Money market rates have been raised to 2.50%

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

And as the Fed raises rates again upcoming, the CD interest rates will keep on rising too!  

Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

And as the Fed raises rates again upcoming, the CD interest rates will keep on rising too!  

@Skyegirl21 - I hope so. It's good to see personal saving rates rising some. It's been a long time. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?