Honored Contributor

I remember the afternoon I got the news that Elvis "has permanently left the building."

I was living in CA ... my husband was in the area and stopped by my office to let me know he just heard on the car radio that Elvis died!

Trusted Contributor

@Skididdy wrote:

WOW,,,thanks for posting this thread.

HE is beloved by my husband and I.  I have so many of his cds, and many head shots that I purchased yrs ago.  From early stages , to army, to priscilla time, to the end.

LOVED him through all the stages. 

There are those certain songs, that still to this day, make me pause and get teary eyed. Cant help falling in love and American trilogy, in the ghetto.

And when Lisa Marie did the remake of IN THE GHETTO with his voice dubbed in...oh my. beautiful.

His voice was perfect to us. 

And his LIPS,,,oh my those lips.

A GREAT ONE MISSED !

I was trying to think of my all time favorite song by Elvis...hard to nail it down to one, but I think for me it's Kentucky Rain...I'm going to google that in the ghetto remake with Lisa Marie, I don't think I've ever seen it...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

@Karie2022@ALRATIBA@Skididdy@Poodlepet2@cookinfreak

https://www.facebook.com/slideshow.metamorphosis/videos/1615646061803390/

Video metamorphosing Elvis' 🕺 face throughout his years.... for the Elvis fans.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Karie2022@ALRATIBA@Skididdy@Poodlepet2@cookinfreak

https://www.facebook.com/slideshow.metamorphosis/videos/1615646061803390/

Video metamorphosing Elvis' 🕺 face throughout his years.... for the Elvis fans.

Very cool...thanks for sharing Smiley Happy

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

Re: Elvis' 40th anniversary

[ Edited ]

In the most recent Time magazine, there is a multi-page feature on Elvis, "Elvis in the Heart of America."  The piece opens with with a late 1960s quote from Leonard Bernstein, the legendary composer and conductor of the New York Philharmonic.  "Elvis Presley," Bernstein said, "is the greatest cultural force in the 20th century.

"He introduced the beat to everything and he changed everything -- music, language, clothes, it's a whole new social revolution -- the '60s come from it."  

A rather powerful thought, I'd say.  Can't say that Bernstein was wrong either.

[I remember wailing "Don't Be Cruel" in our rec room in the basement all summer long when it was first released.  Elvis and I crying our eyes out.  My dear elderly next-door neighbor must have thought I'd lost the love of my life at the tender age of 13.  As I recall, I did have a crush on someone who was visiting us, but I never let him know.]   

Trusted Contributor

I was in junior high when he died.  My mom loved him and I  did too.  I used to watch him during Elvis week on the 4:30 movie after school.   I saw all his movies on tv .  I still remember I was watching the 4:30 movie , it was the Raven, I think, with Vincent price, when the breaking news of his death interrupted the movie.

Esteemed Contributor

Some younger folks from the Twitter generation may not be able to appreciate this, but when the news of his death hit the AP and UP wires and radio shows began to make the announcement the news spread as fast as any non computer word could possible be spread. I recall my workplace area came to a silent halt when the news came across the radio, but just about all of us picked up a phone and called someone to report it.  In fact, the telephone was as powerful as Twitter in that moment for the masses.  On the bus ride home there were several Elvis conversations amongst the passengers.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Elvis' 40th anniversary

[ Edited ]

@lrmuffin wrote:

I was in junior high when he died.  My mom loved him and I  did too.  I used to watch him during Elvis week on the 4:30 movie after school.   I saw all his movies on tv .  I still remember I was watching the 4:30 movie , it was the Raven, I think, with Vincent price, when the breaking news of his death interrupted the movie.

@lrmuffinI was in 15 in Jr. High when my Mom came into my bedroom while I was on my phone to tell me he had died.  I was dumbfounded and could not speak for a moment.  She was in a full blown melt down due to his passing.  As the day went on it hit me what a loss this truly was and remembered all through elementary school I hoped for an Elvis movie.  Our afternoon movies started at 3:30 and my favorites were either Elvis or Avalon/Funicello Beach movies.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."