Esteemed Contributor

Did you hear that he took 4 Corona tests? He had two positive and two negative. I know the average person doesn't have this option.  It makes me wonder if this is the reason for the spreading of the virus. Just food for thought.

Honored Contributor

Ever since the testing started I've always thought that the tests have not been accurate. It just gives people a false sense of security which is dangerous.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Ever since the testing started I've always thought that the tests have not been accurate. It just gives people a false sense of security which is dangerous.

@SilleeMee, not to mention you can test negative in the morning and then be shedding enough virus to test positive that evening.  You are so right about a false sense of security.  Most infectious disease docs and public health people understand this.  You would think people would learn somewhat.

Kind of reminds me of doing a pregnancy test too early.  Doesn't mean you aren't pregnant at the time, just that there isn't enough of whatever hormone that specific test is looking for at the time the test is done.  But wait a day or two, repeat the test and VoiLA!   

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

I thought they'd been saying there was false positives and false negatives for a while? 

I know my dd's friend was sick several months ago, the dr said she either had covid or the flu, both tests came back negative twice. She was sick for over a week.

Valued Contributor

My mother has a doctor appointment for next Friday.  I called the office to make sure it would be safe for her to go, and they told me the entire office is tested every Monday, so it is quiite safe.  Can they possibly think that would make me feel better?  Tests that may or may not be accurate on Monday and she is going on Friday.  Just have to pray all goes well.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated  My son's entire family was sick with the same symptoms. Two out of 6 tested positive. Some of the negative were more sick than the positive. What???

Respected Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

My mother has a doctor appointment for next Friday.  I called the office to make sure it would be safe for her to go, and they told me the entire office is tested every Monday, so it is quiite safe.  Can they possibly think that would make me feel better?  Tests that may or may not be accurate on Monday and she is going on Friday.  Just have to pray all goes well.

@Tessa Mendoza, if it makes you feel any better...the odds are the doctor's office is doing everything appropriately.  They know how to properly wear personal protective equipment and what to do.  And hopefully, they do it.

All of the staff should be wearing masks and of course your mother needs to wear a mask as well.  Many of the hospitals and big doctor's office buildings have upgraded their HVAC systems to increase air filtration, etc.

I have had a couple of doctor's appointments recently and I have felt totally comfortable.  And I am pretty picky.  lol  I would not hesitate to speak up if necessary.  Same goes for your mother.  If she sees something she isn't comfortable with, she should speak up.

By the way, as stated here previously, we now know that wearing a mask (as long as it is an acceptable mask & it is worn correctly) also protects the person wearing the mask.  

You might also encourage her to take a small bottle of hand sanitizer in her purse.  As soon as she exits the building she should give her hands a good squirt and really rub her hands for at least 20 seconds.  Then move on to the car.  When she gets home she can then wash her hands with soap and water.  

I know you will be nervous and she is your mother so of course you are concerned.  But she will probably be in pretty good hands.   Sending good thoughts your way for you and your mother. Heart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Valued Contributor

@ pitdakota - Thanks so much for your advice and good wishes!  Mom will definitely be wearing her mask (with a filter inside) and have hand sanitizer in her bag.  I just have to assume all necessary precautions will be taken in the office.  After all, no one wants to get sick.  You calmed me down by sharing your positive experiences!

Honored Contributor

Most of the stuff associated with this pandemic make little sense to me.  Like testing.  Not sure what the point of it all is because it proves nothing for more than that moment. 

You could walk to your car and get the virus in the elevator and there goes the test. 

Esteemed Contributor

I did hear some weeks ago when they had several athletes  test positive  so they retested at another lab and all were negative.  Each of these tests have  different % of accuracy  , plus a test is only as good as if a technician follows specific protocol in performing the test . Also  one's viral load can differ as time goes by.

So, makes me wonder what factor may have  been at play ?