Respected Contributor

Understanding the size of an elk or any animal one has never seen is difficult. I thought these photos might help everyone see just how large the elk are in comparison to vehicles.

This is a female elk crossing the street in front of an automobile.

IMG_0688.jpeg

This is a bull elk that is standing in front of a 4 wheel drive Chevy Tahoe. It is a tall vehicle that I need the running board enter.

IMG_0941.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Oh my.  Just a teensy big bigger than a deer.  Lol.

Esteemed Contributor

What a MAGNIFICENT creature!❤ She is definitely QUEEN of that road!😁 You are SO fortunate to be able to experience something as SPECIAL as this!❤ This spellbinding beauty COMMANDS attention in all her grandeur! To capture something as random as this, would be my thrill of that day!!😊💝🥰

THANK you SO much for caring to share this AMAZING photo with us!🤗

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Super Contributor
They are such beautiful animals. I remember seeing them grazing in a meadow and thinking they were the size of a horse. Thank you for sharing!
Respected Contributor

Holy cow, I mean ELK! They are huge!

Honored Contributor

@On It.  Here's a good perspective.  This fool was much too close.

1000002912.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 I would say, "What is he thinking?" Clearly he isn't. I have never been out of the safety of a vehicle or away from a doorway when approached by elk. People don't realize they are unpredictable. That is why the pedestrians today walked across the street to avoid disturbing them.

Honored Contributor

So Big!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Re: Elk Size in Perspective

[ Edited ]

This is the closest I have ever been to an elk out in open air. I am on my front porch which is four feet above ground level. My front door is directly behind me. A mama elk with a calf can be protective.

Edited to add:  The mama and baby are four feet below me. Think how tall they would look in the photo if I had been on ground level. The perspective is off since I was pointing the camera downward.

IMG_0760.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Many years ago, when I still lived in WA, I had gone to Crystal Mountain to go skiing.  As I was headed home in my little 1986 Subaru wagon on Hwy 410, the traffic all stopped on the road & as we all sat there, a herd of elk came ambling down the hill & across the road in between the cars.  One of them, walked right by my driver's side door & I found myself looking up at the undercarriage of a huge elk!  I hadn't realized how big they were!