Respected Contributor

Re: Elementary age (when you were)

@qualitygal  Elementary school for us was Kindergarten through 8th grade.  It was too far to walk, so we rode the school bus.  It was a parochial school so their bus fee was just added to our tuition price.  🏫🚎

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

I grew up in Southern California and the school had to be more than 3 miles away before you got bus service.  So mostly I walked.

Valued Contributor

@Imtep 🙁😔♥️
Valued Contributor

We walked to elementary school, no matter what the weather was like. It was just one block away. Jr high was further but we walked if the weather was nice, never alone though. My mom took us though during cold or bad weather. Our high school was almost on the other side of town so my mom took us every morning and usually picked us up after school. Sometimes we walked home with friends. Our town wasn’t large enough to have school buses.
Respected Contributor

Grade school rode my bike in nice weather. bus in bad weather. the first time i rode the bus, the bus driver without warning passed by my street and i burst into tears. he didnt stop and some of the older girls said don't worry he will swing around after all the other stops and then drop you off so you don't have to cross the highway.  which made sense and was safer.we had no bus monitors and parents didn't wait at bus stops like they do now.

Honored Contributor

Depending on where we lived, did all three.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

We lived at the bottom of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

My dad took me to the bus.  I attended the Catholic Procital School my mother had.  The school was a big Victorian building with a giant porch.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

We lived at the bottom of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

My dad took me to the bus.  I attended the Catholic Procital School my mother had.  The school was a big Victorian building with a giant

@ECBG

I've only been educated in Catholic schools.  I've never heard of a Procital school. Would you enlighten me, please?

Honored Contributor

'Gee', all I can recall is walking about four blocks by myself.

Then, I recall two nice girls (same age) from a nearby gov. housing complex coming by, 'picking me up', and walking me to school.

They would hug and kiss me when they came into my house to pick me up. 

I wish I could contact them, but don't recall their names.  I was very, very young.  Maybe around six or so?  

My mom isn't here now, but she often mentioned them hugging and kissing me. 

We lived in a med. sized city at the time.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

I was 4 when I started kindergarten and 17 when I graduated high school.

I walked all 13 years. Smiley Happy Heart