Esteemed Contributor
On 11/29/2014 only shops online said:

In our area, efficient electric appliances are less expensive to operate than having gas. Plus, our utility charges a monthly fee for gas, even if you don't use it...for instance, if you have gas heat, you still pay a months $20-$30 fee just for the gas hook-up, even during the months that you don't use your heat.

Our first home had gas and I smelled gas for quite a few years, and made many calls to our local utility company. It took them 4 years to find the leak, and it was a fairly major leak in the pipe that was coming into our home. Just for that reason alone, I would never have gas in my home again.

As far as cooking, I have cooked with both and I really like my solid surface electric range. I have no problem cooking anything on it, and the ease of clean-up is great. I do think a gas oven is better for baking cakes, etc. But, that's the only difference I see.

I am a retired Home Ec Teacher. My classroom had 2 electric ranges, and 4 gas stoves. The electric ovens cooked things very evenly. A gas cooktop cooks much faster than an electric range. The best of the both worlds would be a dual range with a gas cooktop, and an electric oven.

I have a gas furnace in the house with AC. My energy costs are within reason. My bills are less than $200 a month in the winter. Any heating system needs a decent thermostat. You can get a good 7 day Honeywell for $31.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/comparing-cost-gas-furnace-vs-electric-heater-61395.html

Trusted Contributor
On 11/29/2014 nutmeg3 said:
On 11/29/2014 only shops online said:

In our area, efficient electric appliances are less expensive to operate than having gas. Plus, our utility charges a monthly fee for gas, even if you don't use it...for instance, if you have gas heat, you still pay a months $20-$30 fee just for the gas hook-up, even during the months that you don't use your heat.

Our first home had gas and I smelled gas for quite a few years, and made many calls to our local utility company. It took them 4 years to find the leak, and it was a fairly major leak in the pipe that was coming into our home. Just for that reason alone, I would never have gas in my home again.

As far as cooking, I have cooked with both and I really like my solid surface electric range. I have no problem cooking anything on it, and the ease of clean-up is great. I do think a gas oven is better for baking cakes, etc. But, that's the only difference I see.

I am a retired Home Ec Teacher. My classroom had 2 electric ranges, and 4 gas stoves. The electric ovens cooked things very evenly. A gas cooktop cooks much faster than an electric range. The best of the both worlds would be a dual range with a gas cooktop, and an electric oven.

I have a gas furnace in the house with AC. My energy costs are within reason. My bills are less than $200 a month in the winter. Any heating system needs a decent thermostat. You can get a good 7 day Honeywell for $31.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/comparing-cost-gas-furnace-vs-electric-heater-61395.html

Our house is all electric. Our AC runs all Spring/Summer, at a temperature of about 72 degrees. When the AC isn't running, our heat is set at about 70. Our highest bills, winter and summer, are in about the $200-$225 range, for heating and cooling about 2900 square feet. And someone is always home, so TV, computers, etc. also run all the time.

I can't complain about that.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor
On 11/29/2014 Shaunac said: Gas is cheaper. I've never heard of anyone choosing electric over gas.

We chose electric over gas and have been very pleased with the choice that we made. Our house and appliances are very efficient and our bills are never very high, even with AC running all summer, and heat all winter. I'd never have gas in my house.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor
On 11/29/2014 Shaunac said: Gas is cheaper. I've never heard of anyone choosing electric over gas.
I've always heard gas is cheaper. They do, after all, use gas, coal or some fuel to generate electricity, at least where I live. Only once have I ever had a gas stove. Now I have a gas line so could have had either but I wanted electric. I like being able to use my glass top as counter space.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor
As a person who just went through a power outage, I would never have electric heat or stove. It was a minor inconvenience being without lights for a day, but I was still able to keep warm, take a shower, and cook meals the entire time. Also, professional chefs prefer cooking with gas and I do too, as it's much easier to regulate the heat with a flame as opposed to coils.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

The cost of gas compared to electric would vary from region to region of the country and whether you live in a cold, warm or steady climate. We live in Northern Virgina and we have gas cooking, which I like over electric, and gas heat and gas water heater. I have an electric dryer and A/C. I pay the same amount for gas and electric year round per month as we're on the budget plan, I like having the same amount each month instead of up and down amounts. I have a 2,400 sq.ft. house, not including the basement. My gas bill is only $89/month, my electric bill is $160/month. When the electric goes out, I can still cook with my top burners on my range and I can also get my gas logs on in my family room for heat, so we at least can spend our time in the family room and stay warm. I like having the gas. Some places you don't have a choice, my brother recently moved in a condominium and it's all electric.

Honored Contributor

I prefer cooking with gas.

Respected Contributor

I think more people in the north use gas for heating because it is cheaper. Are you building a new home. I think a gas dryer is always cheaper too.

Honored Contributor

My house was all gas when it was built in 1912. It even had some gas lights - and some of the newfangled electric lights too.

The two fireplaces had gas starters and the boiler system was heated with gas.

When it was remodeled in the late 80s, all the appliances were switched to electric.

I much prefer gas, and it's my next BIG project to convert my home back to gas fireplaces, and a gas stove.

Gas clothes dryers are more expensive and more homes here in the Northeast seem to prefer the less expensive electric dryers.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer gas. When we bought our house they had electric stoves and we pulled them all out and had it converted to gas. Gas is so much better in many ways. I prefer a gas stove 100%! Plus if the power goes out you can still cook!

As for safety, I don't think electric is so much safer. Yes, gas does have the potential to explode but how many fires are started each year due to faulty electric?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK