Honored Contributor

@songbird ..Can I ask how much cost to put a charging station in at your home?  

I think I read or heard on the news that those living in Californina were told not to charge their cars because of an electric shortage....I can see that causing some problems, if true.

Esteemed Contributor

Would love to own an all electric car ( we've owned 3 hybrids so far) but don't think we're in the market in foreseeable future.  Seldom see a charging station in my area, let alone my small town and we do very long trips on long stretches of desert freeways (1000 MI in 3 days every time we pick up grands) so anything less than an instant full charge won't work for us.  Hope they resolve these issues quickly and economically ( then we'll be buyers).

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@SoonerLater wrote:

Until we find a better source for generating electricity, which seems a painfully and expensive way off, it is a moot point about electric cars because most of what you are putting in the car is coming from conventional energy sources (fossil fuel) anyway. 

If you want to know anything about US energy sources and distribution, go to eia.gov.  It is fascinating!  It has all sorts of data and thought provoking information.

I can spend a lot of time reading every time I go to that site. 

Something really worth a look is a page for 

Construction cost data for electric generators installed in 2018

@SoonerLater 

👍👍👍

And from what we learned here in Texas, solar power, and those stupid windmills are worthless in the winter....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Electric cars

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

The manufacturing of an electric vehicle is not as green as people think. Plus there's the issue of disposal of the electronics once the vehicle is done. I'm not so sure I'd buy one just yet. At this point the scales haven't tipped in the electric direction for me. 

@SilleeMee @gardenman 

Just follow the money trail that's what it is about one hand washing the other and lining each other's pockets if you get my drift (cant really go in details here taboo topic)...and then this will result in increased utility bills  which will of course be passed on to us consumers!!! I heard one energy expert say we are years away from even trying to replace fossil fuels, todays green solutions arent perfected enough yet....I think he's right!

Just like they havent figured out what to do with solar panels when its time to replace them what do you do with the old ones, you cant dispose em in the landfills....SMH

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

No one talks about how to heat the cities in the winter without fossil fuels. Imagine trying to heat all of the buildings in Chicago, NYC, Boston, or similar cities without fossil fuels. How do you do it? You just can't. Eliminating fossil fuels is impossible at this point. I don't even know why anyone suggests it can be done. It just can't be done now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Electric cars

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

No one talks about how to heat the cities in the winter without fossil fuels. Imagine trying to heat all of the buildings in Chicago, NYC, Boston, or similar cities without fossil fuels. How do you do it? You just can't. Eliminating fossil fuels is impossible at this point. I don't even know why anyone suggests it can be done. It just can't be done now.

@gardenman 

Very well said! Even though our "artic storm" provided lower than normal winter temperatures, in no way does this compare with what the normal winter temperatures are for those that live in the North and Northeast (below zero)..... so if this environmental friendly wind system stopped working in Texas (even with it paired with a combo diverse portfolio consisting of wind/natural gas/nuclear/electricity),  how can this possibly work where it gets even colder and winters are longer....Those in charge just dont have ANY common sense or they dont care!  This was a green energy test and it failed, yet they seem to be ignoring it blaming it on a freak storm, but it had ramifications for the entire U.S.!!! 

This is what the investigation said about how the wind turbines and solar performed: 

Widespread freezing rain reduced the operability of many wind turbines and overcast conditions obviously limited solar output. the amount allocated for natural gas generation quickly surged, then continued increasing but not able to meet the dramatic increase in demand while coal and nuclear held constant.”  

@gardenman What was interesting is we had similar temperatures back in 1989 but had no problems because the main source was coal and nuclear!!!  Back then our houses were nice and warm and we had fun playing in the 13 inches of snow...

Respected Contributor

One thing I don't like - they make no sound.

I live in an area where parts of the road you literally cannot see oncoming cars because of trees and vegetation on the road.  It's pitch black at night, but even during the day you can't see until they are almost in front of you. We have a T where I have a stop sign and the others do not, and they come from around the corner.  So unless you can see headlights or hear them you run the risk of pulling out and getting hit.

Sure not looking forward to more people getting them.

You can do plenty of research and find both pros/cons.  I'm definitely not interested.  There is more negative to them then government would have you believe.

Trusted Contributor

I drive a hybrid, and I have been interested in all electric, but

am not sure I will take the plunge.

A neighbor has a Tesla, and she said it is like driving a computer

(her words).  I asked her about long trips, and she talked about

a trip to Sacramento.  For us, that would not be a "long trip",

so her answers weren't terribly helpful.

There are charging stations all over the place.  I don't think

it would be necessary to have a charging station at home.

Trusted Contributor
When electricity is out you can't gas up your car either.
Regular Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:
When electricity is out you can't gas up your car either.

@JamandBread You can siphon it out of the other car.