Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone own a totally electric car?   Wondering if you like it.  And how long it takes to charge it up.  And is the electricity more expensive than the gas?

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Does anyone own a totally electric car?   Wondering if you like it.  And how long it takes to charge it up.  And is the electricity more expensive than the gas?

We do.  We've had electric cars since 2015.  I love it now.  I didn't want to (my husband was the one who did)   Yes, it's much, much cheaper then gas driven ones. Totally different in driving (one pedal driving) but you can learn it in less then 15 minutes.  More expensive then gas driven cars. In the beginning meant charging them up (from home overnight)   The range used to be 100 miles.  Now they average 350 miles on one charge.  That's how fast the electric car has developed. You get a charger with the car.  We have it outside by our house. We don't have the new car yet (it's coming next year....a BMW 2022, we lease it) so I'm not sure exactly how long, but supercharger stations take less then 30 minutes now to charge.  The industry has changed so quickly, it's astonishing.  They looks exactly like gas cars, but no tail pipe and it doesn't make any noise. There is artificial noise inside.  It's basically a computer sitting on a giant battery.  Nearly all brand  cars now are offered as electric. They are usually in separate areas in dealerships.  Our first one was called a Leaf, second one was a Mercedes.  This is our second Mercedes. My husband always leases the cars, but you can buy them.  We test drove a Volvo, a Tesla and a Volkswagen (so far) I loved the Tesla, my husband hated it.  We used to get stares (going by without any noise) but now people are accustomed to it. Most electric cars can park themselves, but my husband elects to do it himself.  I don't know what the status is (autonomous parking) with gas cars.  But both gas and electric cars are committed to eventual driverless cars.  We haven't been to a gas station since 2015. Charging stations have popped up.  One is in the parking lot of my local library. One other person in your neighborhood has one.  There is still a lot of hostility toward them (un American?  Not sure of the reason. Who knows?) 

Honored Contributor

I do not know anyone personally that has one.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Super Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

We do.  We've had electric cars since 2015.  I love it now.  I didn't want to (my husband was the one who did)   Yes, it's much, much cheaper then gas driven ones. Totally different in driving (one pedal driving) but you can learn it in less then 15 minutes.  More expensive then gas driven cars. In the beginning meant charging them up (from home overnight)   The range used to be 100 miles.  Now they average 350 miles on one charge.  That's how fast the electric car has developed. You get a charger with the car.  We have it outside by our house. We don't have the new car yet (it's coming next year....a BMW 2022, we lease it) so I'm not sure exactly how long, but supercharger stations take less then 30 minutes now to charge.  The industry has changed so quickly, it's astonishing.  They looks exactly like gas cars, but no tail pipe and it doesn't make any noise. There is artificial noise inside.  It's basically a computer sitting on a giant battery.  Nearly all brand  cars now are offered as electric. They are usually in separate areas in dealerships.  Our first one was called a Leaf, second one was a Mercedes.  This is our second Mercedes. My husband always leases the cars, but you can buy them.  We test drove a Volvo, a Tesla and a Volkswagen (so far) I loved the Tesla, my husband hated it.  We used to get stares (going by without any noise) but now people are accustomed to it. Most electric cars can park themselves, but my husband elects to do it himself.  I don't know what the status is (autonomous parking) with gas cars.  But both gas and electric cars are committed to eventual driverless cars.  We haven't been to a gas station since 2015. Charging stations have popped up.  One is in the parking lot of my local library. One other person in your neighborhood has one.  There is still a lot of hostility toward them (un American?  Not sure of the reason. Who knows?) 

One pedal driving???  I don't understand.

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

FWIW, I just had a contractor at the house who raved about his electric KIA SUV.  He'd had it three years, I think.  I was not particularly interested in his services because he was outrageously overpriced but boy I could get him going about this electric vehicle.  He loved it!  His job involves driving all day long.

There is a little learning curve, especially regarding when/how to charge, but he seemed to have it well in hand.  Cold temps discharge the energy more quickly, he told me, so he thinks about his needs differently in the winter (mid-Atlantic region). 

He'd had to add to his existing home electrical supply and had come to find that he got the best charge and the most miles out of a combination of "regular" and "fast" charging (some of us know about this because of our smart phones, so I throw that out there).

He told me his costs to operate were significantly less than with a combustion engine (no oil change, for one).  He did also have solar roof panels so that, too, factored into his energy costs.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

One pedal driving???  I don't understand.

It's called regenerative braking. When you take your foot off the gas pedal the motor stops turning on its own and becomes a generator as the car's momentum spins the motor's rotor generating electricity that goes back to the battery as the car slows down. It's great if the brake light also comes on when you take your foot off the brake, not so great otherwise.

I was behind a white Prius on Rte. 42 here in NJ one day in very heavy traffic when the idiot in the Prius only used his regenerative braking to slow down which meant I had no visual clue he was slowing down. He didn't tap the brake pedal and the brake light didn't light with the regenerative braking. I almost hit him three times as he'd suddenly stop in front of me. Not fun. As soon as there was an opening, I got out of that lane and left him for someone else to hit. If you find yourself behind an electric car, be very careful and give them extra distance.

In California now with power shortages they're asking electric car owners to refrain from charging their cars. That may end up driving more drivers back to gas-powered cars.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

There are several reasons why some people don't want them.

Too expensive. Maybe they save money overall since they don't need gas, but the price of most electric cars is too costly. 

Not enough charging stations. That depends on the area; some states have more stations than others.

Power outages. The power grid isn't large enough to contain all electric. For example, California wants to eventually get rid of all gas cars. Yet their power grid won't sustain it for that many. Something that looks good in theory, but is too problematic in real life to work. 

They don't cause gas emissions, but electric cars don't really help the planet any more than gas cars because the batteries needed for them have to be disposed of somehow. It's just something activists want people to believe. 

I'm not against anyone having electric cars, if that's what they like. Just pointing out some things about them. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Electric cars

[ Edited ]

I don't think American's are being 'un American' just because they don't own one.  Eventually, they will be the only option, I'm sure.  Most likely decades from now.

It goes way beyond our private passenger vehicles, we're talking all buses, tractor trailers, airplanes, ships/boats, and all of what our military uses.

Until they come up with a good solution/replacement for what to pave the millions of miles of our highways (and most likely the road passing your home), we are going to be oil dependant.  Regardless if we are at 100% electric vehicles for private use, commercial use or our military.

By then we could be driving solar powered cars, or wind powered cars or who knows, flower powered cars!

Esteemed Contributor

I will never buy an electric car. I don't want to have to worry about charging stations, power outages etc. I also don't want to front the money for one.

I have nothing against electric cars. It's just not for me. I'm fine going to the gas station.

Honored Contributor

One of my first interest in my teens was cars and motors that powered them. I loved/love the sound and yes, the smell made by the internal combustion in the cylinders, released by the exhaust valves.

No way I would pay the price of buying one, nor forget how electricity is produced. Will leave these to those that choose to spend the extra $$$ for whatever their reasons.

Me? I still love auto racing, the sounds/speed, and yes, the exhaust.

hckynut

hckynut(john)