Honored Contributor

and about early autumn, LA Nina is poised to take its place.  For us in the Southwest that means warmer and drier than normal.  Frankly we never got much from El Niño and we're still waiting for all that rain and snow.  March was the driest March on record in 122 years of record keeping.

I'm not looking forward to this.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

and about early autumn, LA Nina is poised to take its place.  For us in the Southwest that means warmer and drier than normal.  Frankly we never got much from El Niño and we're still waiting for all that rain and snow.  March was the driest March on record in 122 years of record keeping.

I'm not looking forward to this.

@Kachina624   Thanks for the update.............You better believe I'm not looking forward to this, either (!) di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I agree - where in the heck was all that rain they were talking about for California?  Here in Indiana we are still getting a lot of rain so far this spring.  It's really starting to warm up here.

Honored Contributor

I for one have had enough of ElNino--I live in WA state and from last October thru March, we have had almost 50" of rain!!! The wettest on record!!! Am looking forward to warmer and dryer!!!

Respected Contributor

I'm in the Denver metro area.  As I look out my window at 25 inches of snow and it's still going, it's hard to think of warmer, dryer.  LOL.  We had 15 inches of snow a couple of weeks ago. 

Honored Contributor

Re: El Nino Weakening...

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

I for one have had enough of ElNino--I live in WA state and from last October thru March, we have had almost 50" of rain!!! The wettest on record!!! Am looking forward to warmer and dryer!!!

@wagirl  A Nina winter will be  a very wet winter for the Pacific NW, not drier.   It could be wetter than last winter.

la Nina winter in pacific NW

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensocycle/nawinter.shtml

What is La Nina and how does it affect weather in the Pacific Northwest?

La Nina is the opposite phenomenon of El Nino. During a La Nina episode, the air pressure (on average) becomes slighter lower over the western tropical Pacific Ocean (north of Australia). There is no clear scientific consensus as to why this occurs every three to seven years, but this pressure deviation at the beginning of a La Nina episode causes a chain reaction of other atmospheric & ocean responses:

1) The normal east-to-west winds that blow over the tropical Pacific strengthen.

2) Because of the stronger wind, more “upwelling” in the ocean occurs. (Upwelling is part of an ocean circulation are results in cooler water from below being transported up to the ocean surface.)

3) Because of the increased upwelling, the ocean surface water becomes colder than normal – especially in the central and eastern Pacific areas (off the coast of South America).

4) The colder ocean water results in fewer clouds & thunderstorms over the central Pacific and different pressure deviations that, in turn, alter the pressure and weather patterns all across the planet.

When the tropical Pacific Ocean temperature remains colder than normal (by at least 0.5 degrees Celsius) for at least five months, then the cooling episode is officially classified as a La Nina.

The impacts of a La Nina episode are felt globally. Areas in northern Australia and Southeast Asia become much wetter than normal. And in the United States, the southern tier of states (California & Arizona east through Texas to Florida) typically experience very dry & warm conditions during the winter.

In the Pacific Northwest, La Nina most often results in a wetter than normal winter. Cascade snowfall totals can be significantly above normal during strong La Nina episodes. In the lower elevations, temperatures during La Nina winters are usually near normal or cooler than normal.

More information about El Nino and La Nina:

Respected Contributor

Re: El Nino Weakening...

[ Edited ]

Our snowbird season in Naples this year went from 1" of rain in January to over 13" ....the canals by the roadways stayed full and very high for quite a while.  The normal 82 degree weather went down to the high 60's.

I' ll be very happy to see La Niña back !!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I live in Oxnard (southern Calif). My neighbor warned me of El Nino and that she took out flood insurance. So - I did the same - and it cost me $430 for one year. Well --- I'm still waiting for the rain. Dry as a bone!!!!!! 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Well, that solves the mystery of what happened to our rain.  It went North.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It is very warm today (79) for the Pacific Northwest in April.  I think we are going into another hot dry summer.  We are eating dinner on the patio.