Respected Contributor

Re: El Niño Could Be Among Strongest on Record, Raising Risk of Floods

We are fighting desalination here on the SE coast-no need for water here, but the discharged salt destroys delicate estuarial environment and freshwater habitats.

Esteemed Contributor

Godzilla vs Snowmageddon? OMG, where do they get this stuff?

I wonder what Jim Cantore would say about "climatologists" who are not meteorologists?

Oh, wait. I got rid of The Weather Channel when they started giving snowflakes individual names and telling me 47 people would be impacted by snowflakes today.

Esteemed Contributor

Arizona here. Would love a cold, rainy winter for a change. Want to wear coats, boots, sweaters. If it could start tomorrow that would be fine.

Respected Contributor

We are presently having a very loud thunder storm and buckets of rain.  One of our kitties just ran for cover under our recliner  ( I think he was traumatized as a kitten and left out in a storm).  None of our other cats do this.  

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I hope everyone stays safe this winter, but in spite of flooding and other expected problems, I didn't like that second paragraph where it says there still won't be enough rain to end the drought in California. 

i agree

Honored Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

This resident of Los Angeles has just two words to say on this topic:

BRING IT. 

Ditto from this LA resident as well ......   we'll figure out what to do with the water ..... if it arrives.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I wonder what Jim Cantore would say about "climatologists" who are not meteorologists?

Oh, wait. I got rid of The Weather Channel when they started giving snowflakes individual names and telling me 47 people would be impacted by snowflakes today.

WHY are they called "meteorologists" ??

How frequently do they report on meteors?

Respected Contributor

speaking as an Angeleno, i have my boots, my umbrella and hooded slicker at the ready - we'll have to risk flooding, mudslides ---  we need to end the drought the old fashioned way: precipitation. not sure if we also get snows in the Sierra with this kind of activity (trying to remember back to the mid 1990's) -  but maybe that is asking too much.  hopefully our leaders will redeem themselves and make sure we have ample catchment.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

WHY are they called "meteorologists" ??

How frequently do they report on meteors?

Meteorology is the study of the atmosphere.

Respected Contributor

I just turned off our scheduled watering since it is continuing to rain - still coming down in buckets then subsides then comes down in buckets again.  Got a flood warning on my cell phone with that high pitch noise.....have to say no to that.  We're not in a flood zone....sure neighboring streets sometimes gets water on the sidewalk but that's nothing compared to those who really live in a flood zone whose streets turn into rivers.  That does not happen here.