Respected Contributor

Re: El Dorado, CA Fire Sparked by Gender Reveal Party

Obviously they won't be able or expected to pay millions of dollars.  But I hope they are given a very stiff fine that can realistically be expected to be paid, and a very large number of hours of community service helping those who were impacted by the fires.

Respected Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

Obviously they won't be able or expected to pay millions of dollars.  But I hope they are given a very stiff fine that can realistically be expected to be paid, and a very large number of hours of community service helping those who were impacted by the fires.

There is no reason they can't be expected to pay millions of dollars. If they're young enough to be replicating, they have earning years ahead. A good portion of their earnings should go to pay for the fire mitigation and harm they caused others. If it takes 10, 15 years, that's fine. They can consider it tuition. 

Community service is meaningless. They need to pay with what matters most to people today, dollars.

Honored Contributor

Now wait a minute. I see people condemning this couple's actions. And in another thread the same people said you can't control anyone and c'est la vie if people don't do what they're supposed to do. Which is it?

I'm fond of condemning bad behavior in general. Situational and tribally based ethics get people in trouble.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

STUPIDITY & SELFISHNESS = two things I really wish would go out of style.

Respected Contributor

@Sadiesadie We have plenty of smoke from our own massive and multiple fires here in Colorado.  We also have the pleasure of the smoke from California here.  You can barely see across the street.

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@CAcableGirl2 : Our 2 daughters live in Denver and the smoke has gone over there making the air quality really bad. Daughter was going to have the GC swim yesterday and today while it was still hot (before tomorrow's snow!) but the smoke was so bad she kept the kids inside....in Denver!

Honored Contributor

1F984B20-272B-429B-A904-4D942C5184EB.jpeg

This smoke bomb is marketed for gender reveals.

Honored Contributor

The self-important irresponsible family that started this should also be charged with animal cruelty - now a felony.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A “million dollar baby”  in the true sense of the word.

Oy vey, what was I thinking?

23C30849-D9E4-4389-A94E-4D106BB718B9.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

You can't fix stupid.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@alicedee   It was Bennett Milloy, head of the CA Dept. of Forestry, who said that they could face "millions of dollars" to cover the cost of dealing with this blaze.

We know it would be unrealistic; and will most likely not happen at all.  Even the charges have not been brought as yet, let alone fines and/or jail.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh