Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee. PapaWick and I wonder about that, too.  There is no buyer for any of the 3 houses being built behind us.  A developer is building them on spec.

So who in my deer fan club wants to buy the house so there are no problems? 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

Re: Eighteen total

[ Edited ]

Words out - ANIMAL ANGEL lives here -

the DEER B & B with the best rating - and they all show up.

You have clean plentiful agua, goodies like apples and I'm sure a few salt licks, and lord knows what other yummified stuff besides your lush lawn -

they found a SAFE HAVEN HEAVEN on earth -

YOU are DIVINELY blessed.

I'd give 5 of the best years of my life to be blessed by nature like this!

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

Wonder what the people building the new houses will say?

I hope the deer problem is fully disclosed before they buy the property.  I'd be quite upset if I bought without knowing.

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick 

Unbelieveable!  

Word has certainly gotten around.  You'll have your own personal zoo soon.

I'd love to see that each day.

Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr  this is a rural lake community and anyone moving here should expect wildlife.  We also have fox communities. 

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick   Hey there buddy !   I have been following your photos and sharing with the hubby each day.   Just amazing!  As you know, we live in the country on acreage so we see deer every day but never in this quantity.

I wonder if there is something in the soil, like salt, drawing them to a particular location?   Do they keep your grass eaten?  Are you able to sit out in your yard like at a picnic table and watch them or do they scatter?  Do they leave many little black pellets?  

It is just such a phenomenon, I wonder what explains it?  Do they have pasture or woods or somewhere nearby to graze?

Thanks for sharing and I agree that it will take special neighbors to buy the spec homes with this many deer in their front yard.

ETA:  Are there young kids in your neighborhood?

Take care Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

@alicedee. PapaWick and I wonder about that, too.  There is no buyer for any of the 3 houses being built behind us.  A developer is building them on spec.

So who in my deer fan club wants to buy the house so there are no problems? 

Me!! I would so love to live near your wonderful and totally amazing deer sanctuary!

Word has traveled and they have all found their safe home with you.Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Hiya Minky...we still have to mow, but they do eat the grass quite a bit.  Not sure what might be in the soil.  Oh yeah, we can sit on the patio and watch them.  The only time they run is if I've startled them.  They move to the back of the yard and watch us fill the water.  Yep!  Lots of deer berries, but Papa and I have a system to clean them up a couple of times a week. 

There are lots of wooded lots in which they disappear when they tire of our place.  A neighbor told us that before our lot was developed, it was "theirs" and they stayed here a good amount of time.  It may have been birthing grounds.

No young kids, and only one teenager we know about.

Say hello and give a hug to the cowboy for us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick We live in a rural addtion with 50 houses.  The woods is directly behind us.  At first there were only a couple deer at a time.   As the years have gone by, we would look  out our back window and there would be 6 or 7. I'm giving you a "heads up" here (since I read others may be building close by). I ended up making a noise after watching them a few minutes to schoo them back into the woods.  Not all people want them in their yard and they are allowed to shoot them on their own property in some places. 

There is so much building going on that we are taking their woods away. I did hear something positive about that.  People are now buying more existing homes  than building.  So many of our woods are additions now and I've often wondered why more people don't just buy already existing homes and leave the woods alone.  End of rant.

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick   Thanks for the answers.   I do agree that they are not in your yard - you are in theirs !    

Just stay safe and enjoy them while you can.  I don't blame you one bit for "fawning" over them.   I imagine once the other houses are occupied, they will scatter a bit more.

We see a few during the daytime but see a lot more visitors when we look at our game camera pictures (along with possums, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, foxes, coyotes, cranes, ducks, geese, lots of other birds, - even bald eagles who nest nearby -  armadillos, you name it !  )  Cat Surprised  It's a jungle out there, I tell ya !!!  The neighbor down the road even took a picture of a bear in our yard. 

But, this is a very, very old property and I imagine the homing instinct of these animals will bring them and their offspring back for many years - at least I hope there is still open land for them to roam. 

Hubby says Hi ! right back to you and yours.