Super Contributor

Re: Eight Year old ALMOST drowns on Ship

I did not read the article about this horrible incident because all of what has happened recently is just too depressing. I will say this, my husband and I have taken many cruises on several different cruise lines except Disney. I am quite sure that there are no life guards by ship pools. It is swim at your own risk. Parents need to watch their children, no matter how old they are. Accidents can and do happen. It is also a pretty good idea to be in the pool with them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Eight Year old drowns on Ship headed to the Caribbean

@Mz iMac wrote:

@itiswhatitis

He didn't drown.....According to the article you linked.

Also, the article did not mention who was suppose to be watching the boy.  Where were the parents?????

The article said he was travelling with a group of 50 so I'm guessing it 

was some sort of group trip with chaperones.   Maybe his parents 

weren't on the trip.

Honored Contributor

There are numerous articles out there on this.  Most are telling the same story.  The boy fell into the pool and was believed to have been under water for 18 minutes.  The ship was only an hour into its journey.  How awful.

Esteemed Contributor

@WSfan wrote:

I did not read the article about this horrible incident because all of what has happened recently is just too depressing. I will say this, my husband and I have taken many cruises on several different cruise lines except Disney. I am quite sure that there are no life guards by ship pools. It is swim at your own risk. Parents need to watch their children, no matter how old they are. Accidents can and do happen. It is also a pretty good idea to be in the pool with them.

That's what I read also.  

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@itiswhatitis

He didn't drown.....According to the article you linked.

Also, the article did not mention who was suppose to be watching the boy.  Where were the parents?????

The article said he was travelling with a group of 50 so I'm guessing it 

was some sort of group trip with chaperones.   Maybe his parents 

weren't on the trip.

Well, the chaperone is responsible for his well being.  I haven't read anything about his parents coming or being here or if anyone has spoken to them (if they exist).  I did read that the child is from the Netherlands.  How true that is, right now I don't know.

I find it odd that there is no mention of any adults with this poor baby.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article87088972.html

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/05/articles/maritime-death/no-lifeguards-for-children-on-cruise-sh...

Cruise ships are not required to have lifeguards and can't be sued if a kid drowns.

The parents/guardians should be in the pool with their kids.

I am sure they have signs posted, no lifeguard on duty. When I lived in apartments signs were clearly posted, and the rules of the pool.

Honored Contributor

The article said he was underwater 13 min - so how would they know that? If someone saw him go under why didn't they rescue him? If he was underwater that long he will be severely brain damaged should he survive.

Respected Contributor

I'm from NJ area and live near the Hudson where Royal Caribbean docks ( Bayonne) and on our local news it said the boy was with a party of 49 people. They were from Maryland I believe. None of this group I'm assuming were watching him for this to happen and Royal Caribbean does not have lifeguards . Careless group - Very sad. I'm praying for the young boy. 🙏
Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

Local NY paper has confirmed the young boy's name..Prince Adepoju. The NY daily news stated he is from Maryland and was onboard the ship w/ his 46 yo mother and an aunt. 🙁