Trusted Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

Since you all seem so knowledgeable (as I have been on here off and on for years), I thought Id ask if anyone has info on getting rid of eczema?.

First let me say I see a dermatologist because I had skin cancer last year (and it was cut out of my face). 

Well now at 62 yrs old for the first time in my life, I have eczema all over my arms! The dermatologist gave me (pricey) steroid cream and Ive used it 1 and 1/2 months so far and all it does is relieve some itch for a few hours. Eczema is still there and itch comes back! (I go back to dermatology in 4 months)

—— —

At age 70–last year—I also devevoped eczema.  I had already stopped using detergents, soaps, etc. with articial color or fragrance.  In the last 18 months I have gone from cream to cream ( recommended by my dermatologist) but so far without success of eliminating the problem.  CeraVe has relieved the itch...finally. However, all four limbs have sections covered with eczema.  I hate it.

Honored Contributor

My daughter has it and says using only Dove soap helps her. Also, giving the skin some air. She used to watch tv with heavy blankets on her legs and it made the flare ups worse. Of course you know if a derm is needed.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the replies! I copied down the info, and I will try a few suggestions here, and call the Derma Dr again. We do use natural type laundry detergent for years. I didnt change anything as far as body washes and all but maybe now it started irritating my arms. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U @KailaS @colliemom4 

Babo organics dot com has products for eczema. On their webpage you will see a tab “by concern” or something like that. I ordered products tonight and cannot give any feedback yet.

If you sign up for their emails you receive 25% off your first order. They may have another sale soon also. 

Phytoceramide supplements are helpful for repairing the skin and adding moisture. 

Please let me know if I may be of help.

Blessings, 

🦋

Honored Contributor

Re: Eczema treatments?

[ Edited ]

Sitting in sunlight can help. Just don't wear sunscreen on your arms and make sure you are taking appropriate amounts of vitamin D. All you need is about 10 to 30 minutes in the sun each day. My friend had eczema on her legs and she would sit in the sun with her legs exposed in the summer. But in the winter she would go to a tanning salon just to get her legs exposed to the UV there. It worked for her.

Lots of positive info on the internet about the effects of direct sunlight on eczema. Also, there is a strong correlation between low vitamin D levels and the occurrence and severity of eczema. Good idea to have your doctor check your vitamin D level. Chances are that it could be low...many people have low levels.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4470215/

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U 

Diet

Probiotics are a good place to start.

I also read the posts on FB from "The Eczema Diet."

Humidifiers help in the winter.  I also use Dove for my shower soap and olive oil soap or L'Occitane shea butter soap for my hand washing soaps.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Eczema treatments?

[ Edited ]

To anyone experiencing eczema I can completely empathize- I am in a break out as I type this, my inner arms and upper arms.  At one time I had splotches on my face, and it was just awful. 

My Doctor gave me Triamcinolone Acetonide plus I'll use Cortizone.. I never had anything like this until I was past 66 and boy did it hit with a vengeance (my face).  This aging thing, well it piffs me off to say the least.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I've had eczema all my life. It is very frustrating and nothing really works. I've seen derm docs who prescribe steroid creams. Then you hear steroid creams aren't good for you. I got fed up and stopped using anything for years, at times suffered greatly.

I went to another derm doc after 15 yrs of not using anything. She prescribed Tacrolimus for face (not steroid) and Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment for body (steroid). Also Naltrexone pill. The pill normally is used for people trying to get off drugs but the side effect is no itching (at night since it usually happens then). You cut up the pills in pieces and - I do 8 pieces. I only it take if I'm having a severe bout.

Everything cleared up but my hands - since I'm touching everything day to day. I use laundry detergent that is fragrance free etc and very litle of it. 

Goat milk soap helps me with moisture in my skin. Dove and Cetaphil are also good.

There are things that you will recognize and trigger - if I sweat, I have to clean it right away, otherwise a patch will appear. Everyone is different and what works for 1 will not work for another.

I opted not to go to the next step which are injections and you will need to take periodic blood tests etc. 

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Suziepeach wrote:

To anyone experiencing eczema I completely can empathize- I am in a break out as I type this, my inner arms and upper arms.  At one time I had splotches on my face, and it was just awful. 

My Doctor gave me Triamcinolone Acetonide plus I'll use Cortizone.. I never had anything like this until I was past 66 and boy did it hit with a vengeance (my face).  This aging thing, well it piffs me out to say the least.

do NOT use Traimcinolone on the face since it contains steroids. I was doing that years ago and did not know. The steriod ointment is cheap and I got a big tub and the non steroid is much more expensive and comes in a smaller tube

@Suziepeach 

Honored Contributor

for anyone that itches - apply ice will numb the area and usually the itch will go away.

I have severe itch if I handle raw meat - and other food - I now wear gloves